price of laying 40 bricks

wexford

Hi,

a small wall the height of 2 blocks divides the garden of my house and the one beside me. I want to raise the height of this, by a further height of 2 blocks, which would mean laying approx 40 blocks.. the wall would then be waist high.

how much should i expect to pay someone for this small job? i will be supplying all materials myself, and have been hugely ripped off by tradesmen in the past, so advice would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Re: price of laying 40 bricks..

The cost of laying such a small quantity of blocks would be disproportionate to the perceived amount of work, so you would probably be seeing yourself as being ripped off again.
Does it have to be a wall? Can you not put a small trellis on top of the existing wall to act as a screen?

If it really must be a wall why not do it yourself? It really isn't that difficult, using a string line, to get 20 blocks straight.

thanks Billk, i completely agree with you, and it's annoying me that i can't do it..but it's not physically possible..

thanks tho!

Even allowing for a generous rate of say €1.75 per block laid, add in for labour (mixing up the mortar, and stacking the blocks close to the job) you shouldn't pay much more than €125 for such a job.

But try getting someone to come and 'waste their time' doing such a small job when they could be earning way more on a bigger project.

Wasnt there some new device marketed recently for bricklaying? I can't really remember the details, but it was some yoke ( as we say here in Kerry) that practically laid the brick for you. I'm sure Carpenter will know.

thanks guys, but perhaps i should have been more clear - it's the price of laying 40 cavity concrete blocks ...

merci!

wexford said:
thanks guys, but perhaps i should have been more clear - it's the price of laying 40 cavity concrete blocks ...

merci!

A block is a block to a brickie

'a block is a block to a brickie'

Dont let the brickie union hear you saying that, they charge extra for all types of blocks

ludermor said:
'a block is a block to a brickie'

Dont let the brickie union hear you saying that, they charge extra for all types of blocks

Not the brickie I know thank God