Price of car in trade in,how is it decided?

fredg

Hi all,
just wondering how do a garage work out how much
my car is worth when trading in?
im aware they'd know a ballpark but do they
check it top to bottom before a price is suggested?
will be doing the above in the next couple of weeks.
thanks.Fredg

ha ha,
yes tosullivan i am indeed!!
well remembered.
any further advice for me?
F.

The last time I traded in a car, the mechanic got into it, turned the key, listended for a few seconds, and then turned it off and offered me a value I was happy to accept!

Others who looked at the car were similarly quick to value the car-there were no mechanical checks carried out.

My sister traded a car in last year and it wasn't even looked at; all the salesman wanted to know was whether the NCT was valid and she got a pretty good price for it too.

The salesman has a little book with the value of cars/models/year and mileage that they generally use

Last time I traded in my car , the first garage offered me a new car for €12k plus my old model. By shopping around I settled for €8.5 k plus my old model. So the advice is to shop around. The first garage is unlikely to give you the best offer available.

Rgds
Billo

It sounds obvious but giving the car a quick wash is no harm. I'm in the process of shopping around the last few two days and found a much better reception today in garages after I'd given it a wash. Its not that it was very dirty yesterday but the fresh look makes it look much more saleable. Also as Billo says shop around. I have got quotes with a €3.5k difference also.

Not sure where to get the book. I think the motoring association publish it for their members but i am open to be challenged. I would have no problem asking the dealer to hand me the book so I could check the price offered for myself.

On another occasion a dealer looked up carzone.ie to try and agree a price with me.

There is one thing for sure the sales men won't do themselves, when they know that you are trading in then they will rise the price of the car they are selling to make it seem like you are getting a good price for your car.