Price for BER

Haille

I was considering installing solar panels and was told that in order to get the grant my house would have to reach BER C minimum.or at least BER D before installation.I contacted a local assessor and he quoted me €600 to carry out a BER.This man had visited my home which is a large 4 bed dormer bungalow previously. I thought the price was exorbitant as I assume the process only takes an hour to carry out.What would be the average price of a BER? It seems if I was to be sure my house was BER D I would have to have assessment carried out beforehand to make sure I would qualify for grant and again after installation of panels to get grant? Any way around this?

Shop around, you'll do a lot better. I'm sure costs have gone up since 2013, but €600 sounds like a lot! I paid €200 for a 2-bed ~a year ago.

Correct, BER assessments before and after are a condition of the grant scheme.

BEF Before is not a requirement Leo, only after. If you were not sure you would achieve a C rating you might want an assessor to give you a view on that but a Formal BER isn't required.

What does the BER assessor actually do when he/she calls to your home. If you purchased a Thermal Leak Detector for about €50, could you not do most of the work yourself?

I think if I paid €600 to be told that I needed thicker insulation in my attic, beads inserted in the cavity walls, new windows, internal or external wall insulation.....I wouldn't be impressed.

Many thanks.I will not be paying €600 for BER. A while back I paid €400 for an air test.A total waste of money.I had planned to pump cavity walls .Therei is already 2 inch aero board insulation from 1989. I had also planned to dry line internal walls .All of which should raise my BER rating ( whatever it is).Should I concentrate on this first before considering solar panels.

BEF Before is not a requirement Leo, only after. If you were not sure you would achieve a C rating you might want an assessor to give you a view on that but a Formal BER isn't required.
True, but unless you have a good idea what the current rating is, it's very difficult to say what the outcome will be. Unless you know an assessor, I very much doubt any will commit to give you an indicative rating without inspecting the house.

What does the BER assessor actually do when he/she calls to your home. If you purchased a Thermal Leak Detector for about €50, could you not do most of the work yourself?
See here for how the BER rating is assessed and calculated. The assessors have to inspect every element and use documentation or evidence you can provide or make an assessment as to the thermal efficiency properties of each. The DEAP software then calculates a rating on all that.

I presume you mean a thermal camera which really just shows a visualisation of the temperature measured across an area. They don't measure loss directly and care must be taken in how you go about testing a building to ensure you're not confusing issues like solar thermal effects with heat conduction.

A €50 one will be waste of money, you'd be better off buying a decent infrared thermometer and spending time taking readings across the surfaces. Some of the hire shops will rentthe good cameras for about €100 a day.

Many libraries will have the kits available including a thermometer to carry out heat loss assessments.

I think if I paid €600 to be told that I needed thicker insulation in my attic, beads inserted in the cavity walls, new windows, internal or external wall insulation.....I wouldn't be impressed.
You're right, you certainly don't need a BER to highlight the obvious, and most people get BERs because they have to for various reasons (selling, renting. availing of grants). This guide will help prioritise the spend for many of the common house types here.

If you know your local friendly estate agent, they can usually point you in the direction of a BER assessor who will do a reasonably priced assessment to comply with the requirement.
It'll be well short of €600. Was under 200 when I got it done a few years ago, and that was Dublin prices.

I never had a BER done since house was built in 2000 and was confident that C1 was easily achievable after install. Therefore I only paid for an after install BER and ended up on B1.

Many thanks.I will not be paying €600 for BER. A while back I paid €400 for an air test.A total waste of money.I had planned to pump cavity walls .Therei is already 2 inch aero board insulation from 1989. I had also planned to dry line internal walls .All of which should raise my BER rating ( whatever it is).Should I concentrate on this first before considering solar panels.
The 2ins aeroboard will still be there in the cavity. I cannot see the logic of drylining the same inside walls, and also pumping insulation into the already insulated cavity.

Just trying to increase the insulation of the external walls.A friend of mine with a recent build in the last 6 years.had 6 inches pumped into cavity and dry lined the external walls of the house.

Just trying to increase the insulation of the external walls.A friend of mine with a recent build in the last 6 years.had 6 inches pumped into cavity and dry lined the external walls of the house.
Excessive, in my opinion and may not impact on the BER rating at all.

Yep, and perhaps introduces a significant problem if the dew point ends up within the wall creating perfect conditions for a mould infestation.

Not specifically doing it to increase BER but to increase insulation of existing walls.While 1.5 inch aero board was standard insulation back in the 1980’s build.I put 2 inch in back then.If I want to improve on wall insulation I see this as only option unless I opt for the more expensive external insulation.How else do I improve on wall insulation.Icannot undo the lack of floor insulation as it was not done back then.

Back