Price comparisons on oil & solid fuel / geothermal / wood pellets

Sparki74

We have just got our planning permission through in Cork and were looking into the option of combination system of geothermal and oil (upstairs), wood pellet or oil combined with solid fuel. However the main problems with geothermal is the installation cost (a crowd from Kerry were quoting somewhere in the range of around 18,000. Running costs about 800/900 pa - this is a lot of money. Alternatively, the wood pellet solution - I think it sounds good, however, you have to consider building a self contained room which must be drylined, that can store aprox 3 tonne (we have been told my Kerry crew that this bulk delivery is most cost efficient). I hate to admit that even though I'm very much from the school for eco friendly energy, I'm half thinking of the oil option with a solid fuel cooker - oil will be on a timer, then when time allows, we would light the fire which would also heat up the radiators. We are lucky that our house is in the countryside, therefore the raw materials are more accessible. Would anyone know price comparisons - our house is a 2850 sq ft house. Thanks for any thoughts on this

Sparki...800 to 900 per year is not a lot if you consider 2000 for oil.

When we build I plan on going for Geo-thermal only

I agree with the previous comment that the amount of money in question is very low compared to oil. I would advise trying the energy survey - it is simple enough to use as far as I can make out if you have an engineering brain. I got energy consultants into my house and they performed a moderation of this analysis and the results were very interesting. Apparently the program on the S.E.I site is very like what is going to be used for the E.P.B.D. It may be worth getting consultants in however to advise you ho wbest to comply with these regulations best (in case you want to sell in the future)

Back