Previous wills

J

jtr

Hi I'm just a new user but would be very grateful for any help with my query.
If somebody made a will recently which revoked all previous wills do you know if solicitor still keeps a copy of previous will?

My mother died 2 months ago and I just discovered yesterday that she made a will in Jan '09 less than 2 weeks after leaving hospital. I was very surprised and shocked at the contents of the will, but more shocked that the will was dated jan '09 and at that stage she was barely able to write and quite frail.

The will wasn't typed but it was handwritted by somebody and it was full of legal jargon and signed by 2 solicitors. It didn't say what firm of solicitors they were from just the town.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice
jtr

Are you unhappy with the terms of the will? Were there any significant changes in the will from her previous will?
Do you intend to contest the will? Do you think someone exerted pressure on her to make this will?
The solicitors should be readily identifiable.
In certain circumstances, a solicitor will keep previous wills. But not always.

mf

I would be happy with the contents of the will if it had been written a couple of years ago when my mum was in the full of her health.
She hadn't been residing in her own house for the last 2 years and had stayed with my brother during the week and with me at weekends. She was asked to pay 100euro a week to my brother's wife for her bed and board! About 18 months ago she told me that she was asked if she would like to change her will to which she replyed no! I know I'm still grieving at the moment and prob not thinking as clearly as I normaly would but I feel she might have been put under pressure to change her will. I know to contest a will can be a costly and lenghty process and will tear the family apart but it just doesn't add up. I need as much advice and info as possible so I can decide what to do for the best.
jtr

I'm not sure that even if you got the new will overturned whether if would be sufficient to revive the old will. it might mean the whole estate falls into intestacy and is divided according to statutory provisions. You should get specific advice on that issue - i.e. what happens if you are successful in overturning the will.

Back