Previous long time on social welfare affect joint mortgage approval?

greattime

Hi i was on social welfare for 2 years but just got a permanent job. My other half is a permanent teacher for 8 years, we are looking to apply for a joint mortgage in 6 months.
1. Will 6 months employment for me be enough to increase our mortgage?
2. will they ask or can they check what i done before the 6 months? I presume being on the dole for that length of time will look very bad, maybe we are better off putting in a single application? Or I could say I lived off savings?

Thanks

AFAIK they look or 6 months statements. If there is no SW payment in that time then they have no reason to disallow you. They may have a question on the application form though which may ask your work history but I can't recall one.

You'll be asked for six months bank statements and a salary cert from your employer to say how long you've been with them and if your position is permanent.

AFAIK they look or 6 months statements. If there is no SW payment in that time then they have no reason to disallow you. They may have a question on the application form though which may ask your work history but I can't recall one.
Thanks, I used to get paid in cash in the post office on the dole so it wouldn't show up on statements anyway, been working a few months now and going well. Wondering if we should go for the mortgage now instead of waiting as I presume they would not be able to tell I was on the dole 3 months ago if its not on the statements?

Wondering if we should go for the mortgage now instead of waiting as I presume they would not be able to tell I was on the dole 3 months ago if its not on the statements?

When they review your 6 months financial history, they will likely spot no record of income and ask questions.

When they review your 6 months financial history, they will likely spot no record of income and ask questions.
Could say my gf supported me, what would others do? There is a house at the moment we are very interested in. Is it worth the risk or just continue working until I have 6 month payments on our statements?

Could say my gf supported me, what would others do?

They might wonder why you didn't claim benefits you were entitled to, and perhaps even worry that you might owe her back.

There is a house at the moment we are very interested in. Is it worth the risk or just continue working until I have 6 month payments on our statements?

A lot likely depends on the nature of your job along with how much you're looking to borrow. If they consider your job to be secure and you are out of any probation period, they may be happy to consider you low risk. It will also depend on how close you are looking to go the the 3.5 x total income.
If it's a relatively unique house, perhaps apply with a second or third choice lender, if it doesn't work, wait the 6 months and apply elsewhere.

They will be more interested in what you were doing previously as in employment rather than the fact of getting social welfare. They may well ask when they see the form from employer showing start date, lots of people are unemployed from time to time, the obvious thing to do is apply for social welfare if one is entitled to it.