Prevent Condensation in a New Build

dj01

I'm in the process of a self build, it's a half dormer and roof is just being finished off. There's no downstairs windows/doors in yet, will be in later this week. I've noticed in evenings that condesation is forming on the inside pane of the velux windows. I want to stop condensation forming on windows when the house when is finished. There's passive vents in all downstairs rooms, and there will be overrun fans in all bathrooms.

I'm especially concerned with the dormer upstairs area. What's the best way to ventilate these rooms? Is there any way of preventing condensation build up other than using a Heat Recovery Ventilation System?

thanks,
dj

every habitable room needs to be vented. This includes first floor rooms as well. Do your first floor rooms have passive vents??

If the condensation is forming in the gap between panes, then i would replace the rooflight as its a sign the vaccuum has been compromised. Is the heating turned on yet?

Include proper passive vents into these rooms.

Hi Syd,

No the heating system is'nt even in yet. The condensation is only on the outside of the inner pane, so there's no fault witht the roof windows.

Do you think vents in the soffit and then vents in the outer stud walls would be sufficient? Did you install a HRVU?

1. the outside of the inner pane??? so it IS forming in the gap between panes......... ?.......

2. No. There really should be direct ventilation to the external, either in gable walls, or through vent tiles eg up through the ceiling.

3. a heat recovery unit is useless in a situation where you have passive vents in the walls. Its an either / or case.

BTW - ay level of drying out - such as from plastering will lead to excess condensation anyway