prestwick to edinburgh

seantheman

flying into prestwick at approx 2pm on fri 13th and going to edinburgh for the game. there will be five of us, just wondering the most cost effective way to travel, 5 in a taxi from prestwick to edinburgh or train from prestwick to glasgow? glasgow to edinburgh? any alternative ideas i'm open to suggestions. if it is the train route someone mentioned we may have to get a train into glasgow and out of glasgow queen st.

I have heard of a train ticket from Prestwick to anywhere else in Scotland at a bargain price, used to be £5. Don't know if they're still doing it? We hired a car last time, our biggest expense was actually parking it at the hotel in Edinburgh.

This time we're flying into Newcastle. Car hire from Thursday to Monday €80 through ebookers.

I've travelled that road by car and by coach, and the train has to be easier. For much of the route, it's narrow, twisting single-carriageway.

In Glasgow you have, IIRC, to walk between train stations, but that's no hardship compared to the car.

We're flying into Glasgow & then bus to Edinburgh.

you get the train from airport to Glasgow, buy the ticket for the train from ryain air desk or on plane if you travel with them. It is half price. When you arrive in Glasgow you must go to the other train station 5 mins walk away down a few streets but there is a shuttle out side the train station to take you there if you wish overall it should take less that 2 hours to do it. Enjoy the game As there is 5 of you you should check the price of a taxi but they will have to have a mini bus as they wont take 5 in the taxi. It might work out cheaper

Last edited:
We did the same trip two years ago but there was a train strike on, meant we had to get a bus from Prestwick airport into Glasgow and then a connecting bus from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Normally you can just get a train into Glasgow and a connection onwards. Enjoy the weekend it will be savage. C'mon Ireland

As was said above..train is the handiest. When you arrive in Glasgow Central, check the departures board as there are usually trains from Central to Edinburgh once an hour or so. They will take roughly 20-30 mins longer from Central than from Queen Street which runs trains every 15-20 mins and only takes 45 mins. Queen Street is a 5 min walk from Central and is signposted.

As most folk have said here its best to get the train. Taxi will be a silly price.

Train station is linked to the airport in Prestwick and trains are normally fairly well timed for flights. Maybe check our Scotrail to find out if ye need a wee jog to catch it.

Pay the inspector on board, show yer boarding pass and it gets ye reduced price ticket to anywhere in Scotland. Same story for when yer travelling back to Prestick.

40 mins or so to Glasgow Central. I always head to Queen St which as folk have said is 5 mins away and trains to Edinburgh are every 15 mins and take abour 50 mins.

The best station to get off at for Murrayfield is Haymarket which is the 2nd last stop before Waverley Station.