Preserved public service pension - conversion of lump sum into spouse and children's pension

NoRegretsCoyote

I resigned from a public service job some time ago and have a preserved public service pension. I'm a post-2004, pre-2013 entrant for seven years.

I wasn't married and had no kids at the time and didn't pay the higher spouses and children's pension contribution rate. My pension won't be huge, at today's rates something like €400 a month and a lump sum of €22k based on a final salary of around €78k.

Am I right in thinking a portion of my lump sum can be converted at 65 into an entitlement to a spouse's pension? I read on the FAQ that:

So if I work this out I could at 65 opt in to the spouse's and children's scheme by a deduction from lump sum of 7% of final salary, so about €5.5k. Is this right?

TBH I am not even sure it will be worth it at the time as my kids will be well grown up and wife has own pension which should be comfortable.

Last edited:
It states that 1% is paid for any potential service years to age 65. Therefore you might be liable for a lot more than 7%.

In my case I retired at age 56 with a preserved pension payable at age 60. I was a member of the Spouse and children's scheme. There was a deduction of 1% per year for the 4 years to age 60 taken from my tax free lump sum. I had 38 years of service at age 56. Therefore my experience is that 1% per year is deducted to pension age.