Presents for co-workers newborns (to give or not to give)

ivuernis

There a several people in my office who will be either having babies or whose partners will be having babies in the coming months. I'm delighted for them, I hope they're happy, that everything goes well and that the babies are healthy, etc., but the first whiparound for monies to buy a present for the first newborn has started. I'd rather not get dragged into this now as it's going to become a recurring thing over the coming months. Maybe I'm biased because myself and my partner don't have kids but I try to keep the present-giving to family and close friends as it can get out of hand. However, I don't want to come across as the office scrooge either. Anybody else feel the same about this sort of thing going on in their office or place of work?

I am in complete agreement with you, we too have just gone thru' a few months of colleagues having new babies and if we were to give to all I think we'd be broke by now!! Keep it to family and close friends imho.

Advocates of chronic whiprounds should be whipped around the place themselves IMO.

It can get absolutely ridiculous. When someone is leaving - fine, other than that it's simply others imposing a level of friendliness/generosity that not everyone might agree with.

Utterly agree. However very difficult to phrase it to work colleagues when confronted with the collection. Either pass it on or say that you don't wish to contribute. If your colleagues are friends outside of work, you could say that you are buying your own gift.

or the old 'I don't have any money on me, I'll stick some in later...'

I never even thought of that until hubby came home yesterday with a voucher from his work. Got nothing from my work but we don't normally do whips rounds unless someone is leaving. Not something i expected when having baby so don't think people expect anything.

When they come round at work, I contribute if I know the person well, or if they are working in my section. Sometimes I only put a token E2 into the envelope if I am not very familiar with the person. I don't like saying that 'I don't contribute' as for the sake of E2, I don't want to look mean. Also, I would be afraid people would think I'm bitter cos we don't have kids.

If I don't know the person, I ask whoever is doing the collection : Who is Ms. X. What section is she in? This makes it obvious that they are asking me to contribute to a collection where I don't know the person. I then say I have no money on me, I will get them again.

What's the big deal? If you don't want to contribute then don't. Why worry about what other people think? If you do worry about what other people think then just contribute and agonise about your hypocrisy and cowardice later in your own time.

Where I work people just send an email around saying we're doing a collection for x, if anyone wants to contribute the envelope is on y's desk and we'll be buying a present on Friday afternoon. Then its entirely up to people whether to give or not and no one is standing in front of you putting you on the spot.

What's the big deal? If you don't want to contribute then don't. Why worry about what other people think? If you do worry about what other people think then just contribute and agonise about your hypocrisy and cowardice later in your own time.
Excellent

Also, I would be afraid people would think I'm bitter cos we don't have kids.
Hardly.
Tough love from ClubMan, suck it up ivuernis.