present for best friend in OZ?

nuttybud

Our best friend is having a very rough time lately, its her birthday at end of the mth and we want to send her something to cheer her up. The prob is she is in Oz outback closest city is Perth (4hrs away so not possible to get spa voucher). Ive had a look at hamper websites etc but they are either really boring (bath soaps, etc) or choc/wine which isnt really possible- She has a nut allergy and is 7mths pregnant! A fairly decent one seem to be aprx €150 -which is okay coz cost be split between us.

We were thinking of making our own big box and sending it over- orginally we were going to put in club orange, tayto etc but Im not sure about sending those through customs? Could you send oils/creams/lotions through customs?

We were thinking of sending a few pamper treats & cheer up things like
fluffy dressing gown & ?

We also thought maybe some dvds' - happy chick flicks?
Not too lovey dovey!

Does anyone has any suggestions.
Anyone know what would pass customs?
Any idea of cost of large box?

Hi, this might help, www.tasteireland.com.au they will deliver Irish products within Australia. Remember it's priced in AUS$, you'll get about AUS$1.75 to €1.

I have no connection with this company, just came across it while living in Oz.

There'll be no problem sending any of the stuff you mention above to WA, they only have a problem with fruit , cereals / nuts etc, they've a good list on the austrailian customs website on items that can't be taken in, in general its items that aren't processed, and while they'll probably examine the parcel, they'll let it through, if you state what you have in the parcel.
postage to WA can be pretty expensive, you could check the cost in the post office.
i've done outback living in WA and it can be pretty isolating, I always welcomed parcels!
throw in her favourite magazine as well, having good friends like yourselves at home is what makes outback living / oz living very hard!

If you post more than 2kgs to Australia, you will pay dearly for it. The rates from the An Post website are as follows:

Zone 4 - Rest of World

Weight Not Over Letter / Postcard Large Envelope Packet Parcel
50g €0.82 €1.50 €2.70 €22.00
100g €0.82 €1.50 €2.70 €22.00
250g €3.00 €3.50 €22.00
500g €4.25 €4.85 €22.00
1kg €10.40 €22.00
1.5kg €16.60 €28.00
2kg €16.60 €30.00
2.5kg €34.00
3kg €38.00
3.5kg €44.00
4kg €48.50
4.5kg €52.50
5kg €55.00
Each Additional 1kg (max 20kg) €5.00

Far better to spend some of that money more economically by ordering stuff from within Australia. Another poster mentioned a site where you can buy Irish food, and for DVDs you could use www.cdwow.ie or www.play.com as both will ship to Australia for free. Bear in mind that Australia is Region 4 for DVDs - check that your friend has a multi-regional player before sending (Ireland is Region 2). Alternatively, there are a couple of places within Australia that sell DVDs online - www.jbhifi.com.au or http://www.ezydvd.com.au (www.ezydvd.com.au). For bath products, I found to be excellent - you can order pre-packed gift boxes, or choose your own items and have them gift-wrapped. Ooh, and I found this on the Lush website:

Q. What can I use when I am pregnant?
A. All of our products are safe for use, however we do feel that those products milder in their actions are the ones you should choose. If you have any concerns about ingredients, any of the essential oils, for example, we make plenty of alternative products for you to choose from. Recommendations: Our Therapy Massage Bar is especially lovely for mums to be as you can use it to moisturise your tummy. Our Butterball Bath Ballistic is a good choice with its soothing vanilla fragrance and pieces of real cocoa butter for moisturising your skin. Dream Cream hand and body lotion is great for particularly dry skin and Sympathy For The Skin is a moisturising cream which can be used after a bath or shower to keep your skin soft and supple to help prevent stretch marks. Ultrabland cleanser and Celestial facial moisturiser are also ideal choices as they are designed for sensitive skin.

So I would suggest sending a card and a couple of small things from here, but order the rest online - it'll be far cheaper. (Especially if what you send weighs less than 2kg - you can send it at the packet rate so long as the overall dimensions (length + width + height) of the box do not exceed 90cm)

My sis lives in australia and I usually get her vouchers for trips ie. a weekend in hunter valley, sydney bridge climb etc, Im sure you could get something along those lines for somewhere near perth. maybe a voucher for a really nice hotel. there is usually a year expiry on them so she can take her time to use it.

thanks for all the suggestions:). In the end I got 2big boxes (one for her & baby) and filled it with babyclothes, magazines (ok,hello & womans way!), book (gypsy -lesley pearse- id defo recommend it), cd (girls night in- for a bit of cheese), 2 girlie dvds and some products.

Thanks for that lush link I'll defo use it again.

celtwych Ive learned my lesson re the post. One box was 2.5kgs and the big one was 4.5kgs and it cost over €80 to send to rural western australia!:(

celtwych Ive learned my lesson re the post. One box was 2.5kgs and the big one was 4.5kgs and it cost over €80 to send to rural western australia!:(

I too learned the hard way, as I used to send a lot of stuff to Australia! That's why I threw in the postal rates (although it came out a bit garbled, despite my best efforts). If you're sending a lot of stuff, the best way to do it is to send several boxes weighing no more than 2kg each. It'll cost you less, and give the recipient even more boxes to unpack :)

Happy Chick Flicks:

13 going on 30
How to lose a guy in 10 days
Pretty woman
Grease
Mama mia
Miss congeality

:)

Back