Preparing soil for a lawn

bertson

Hi,
My (new) garden was levelled by a JCB 6 months ago, with top soil laid on the top. The site is 1/2 Acre in size. The ground now has a few weeds and grass clumbs etc
I now want to lay a lawn. The question is would a Rotavator do the job of preparing the soil for grass seed?

I tried to get a farmer to do this with a tractor and a gruber etc, but the machinery is too big

Is there any other yoke I can hire?
Cheers
B

You should be able to hire a small petrol powered one that you simply push around.

-I

the rotovators they hire are a two wheeled little thing that are really meant for use in glass houses where the soil in theory is like compressed sugar grains anyway - so this just lightens it up. For a half acre I would suggest you try [and I mean try to] to hire a commercial rotovator/ blecovator. My commercial one for example has 8 gears. Other than this levelling/ preparing lawns for seed is not that easy if you aint done it before. It is usually priced at a rate per metre squared and your back may decide its better to hire in the pros you can check the ALCI website [landscapers association] the trade members or the contractors are usually very helpful on advice [broken link removed]