preparing for mobilty problems

H

hamsam

My elderly Dad is due home soon from hospital where he's undergone serious surgery. As an unfortunate complication, he has become quite frail and his mobility will be greatly affected. His home, especially the small bathroom and seperate, adjoining toilet, will not really be suitable for his needs in his new circumstances.
Pending on assessment from an occupational therapist, we're all a bit in a heap trying to figure out what we do and what order to do it. We can't see how major renovations can be completed before he has to return.
Has anyone else been in the position of preparing for an older person with mobility problems and got useful advice or insights to share, particularly but not solely in relation to organising toilet and washing facilities?

Sorry to hear of his difficulties. I understand that most local authorities have a scheme to fund such works, though these can 'run out' from time to time. Contact your local authority for more details.

mobility

what rainday said is correct,i think your first point of call is the health board,i have completed similar projects in the past and the health board will guide you .However be prepared to wait as there is a considereable backlog

good luck

Sorry to hear it.

Having been through this previously, in retrospect, I think the most important thing is to make your dad feel secure and looked after. He'll be coming out of an environment where he had people looking after him 24/7 and coming home- particularly if there isnt someone to take care of him full time- will be very scary for him. You'll be surprised how dependant he will have become. So the best advice I could give is to arrange a carer if possible. If not- try a rota of family and friends. Also see if you are entitled to have the public health nurse call from time to time.

As Rainyday said, there are grants for people who are disabled to convert or extend houses to adapt for a disability. This will take time, though and in the meantime, you may need to put grip handles near existing toilets, into the existing bath, next to his favourite arm-chair, his bed and so on so that he can help himself to stand from a sitting or lying position. You might think about getting a panic button installed, or if he doesnt like that idea, get him a mobile phone,and if he doesnt know how, teach him to use it and insist he carries it around with him. Theres nothing worse than when a disabled person falls over and is unable to get up by themselves and unable to do anything except wait until they are found.
If he's going to be permanently disabled, then think about applying for the disability badge for his car- again he may not want you to ( The "Who me, disabled?" idea) but he may need it badly.

Depending on his disability, does he need gadgets for opening bottles or tins?

Thats all I can think of right now- as I said, from personal experience the best thing you can do for him is be near, or make sure hes looked after by someone else- thats the most comforting thing of all. Best of luck.

Back