Preparing concrete floor for laminate.

moneypitt

Anyone knows how to go on about this. I have enough laminate and underlay (foam), I removed the dirty old carpet, and after a lot of scrapping and hovering, I now have a clean concrete floor. Now what - what next? Do I need to apply some sort of sealant to keep the dust down, or can I just start spreading the foam and laminate?

I am hoping to keep the existing skirting boards and screw on another layer of skirting to the original to keep it look tidy. Are there any other alternatives to this?

Thanks a mil!

[font=&quot][/font]

Hi Moneypitt,

You'd want to make sure that the concrete floor is fairly level - that is, no big bumps or hollows. If there are, you could end up with the boards popping out of the clips or the locks on the boards not staying locked.

If the floor is not level, get a bag of self-levelling compound and apply this first. It's very easy to use - it's like very running concrete and will pretty much flow into any hollows to level the floor. You'd need to give it about 24 - 48 hours to set.

Once the floor is level, you can fire ahead with the foam underlay and then the laminate. I'm not sure about leaving the existing skirting on and screwing another layer on top - it will make the skirting very wide. Also, is the existing skirting moulded? How will the new one sit against it? You should be able to get the old skirting off without damaging the walls too much and when you fit the new skirting you'll end up with a much neater looking job.

PS don't forget to leave your expansion gaps around the edge of the laminate - v. important.

I think you are about ready to go, I didn't put my floors down myself but the guys who did install it just starting laying the foam and taping it together.

I know its a lot of work but are you sure you dont want to remove the existing skirting and then lay the floor under it and re-install it sitting on the new floor. Will the extra layer not prove as difficult to put on as removing/reattaching the original?

You could seal the floor with EVA polybond watered down about 1:4 and put on with a roller - not such a great need when ready to put down laminate but if were going to be living with it for a while then defo put in on before dust drives you mad.

For a new house would be no harm to use dehumidifier to ensure floor dry enough - more important for real timber floor. Also recommended to put down polythene before the foam to stop damp coming up. After that its easy enough - handy to have 2 people as when clip in one edge the other can pop out and vice versa - so if on your own you could end up looking like something out of a game of twister trying to keep one side in while clattering the other side.

Defo take off the skirting - sure treat yourself to a new set if the old is dowdy - not that expensive, would help the room.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Taking apart the old skirting and installing new will definitely look better, but I am worried if I ruin the wall trying to remove the skirting which is actually in very good condition! One other option is to put an angled skirting (sorry, I don’t know the technical terms any of these) which is the same colour as the floor.

So, from what I understand, EVA Polybond is just to keep the dust down, where as the self-levelling compound is to, well, level the floor, is that correct? I did notice very slight elevation at far corner of the floor, but it looked okay otherwise.

Another question – should I put any special type of underlay around the fireplace? It’s a good size open gas fire.

Thanks again folks!!

underlay around fireplace not an issue, its the laminate itself that would be more affected by the fire but as its a gas fire then shouldnt be an issue anyway - i.e. wont have coals rolling out onto the floor. You wont really damage the wall when getting the skirting off and anyway it'll be covered again by the new skirting

Has anyone heard of putting wooden flooring down on top of existing carpet. We have a fitter who is saying that rather that ripping up the existing carpet and putting down foam underlay , that we just lay it down on the carpet as the carpet will just act as a thicker underlay. I cannot see any problems apart from raising the floor slightly but can anyone think of anything??

"I cannot see any problems apart from raising the floor slightly but can anyone think of anything??"

Some things that immediately spring to mind:

1. Would there not be too much movement because the carpet is too thick?
2. Would this not cause problems with raising the height of the floor this much?
You may well have to take a strip off the bottom of the door which can be
troublesome in itself.
3. How would it affect the skirting board?

Thanks for the reply, well one room is done already and it seems okay.
The isn't much movement as the carpet is one of those cheap ones you get in rented houses, they have very little give in them.
Might have to shave a bit off the bottom of the door but not a big job.

Skirting boards are being replaced as they couldn't get them off in one piece.

So far the floor seems quite solid but only time will tell.

fandango1 said:
If the floor is not level, get a bag of self-levelling compound and apply this first. It's very easy to use - it's like very running concrete and will pretty much flow into any hollows to level the floor. You'd need to give it about 24 - 48 hours to set.

Fandango,

Have you done this before?

I've put down a wooden floor before on a flat surface - no problem. I'll be tackling another floor soon that is uneven where an old fire place has been taken out. There a hollow in the area.

Are you saying that I can pour the self-leveling compound in and it will sort itself out?

How difficult is it?

Thanks

Ham Slicer,

I had to do this in my previous house - it was a new build but the sitting room floor was full of bumps and hollows.
It's very easy to do. Just follow the instructions on the bag for the consistency and then pour it out from the bucket onto the floor. As it will be quite runny, it will fill up the area pretty much by itself...you may need to give it a bit of a helping hand with a plastering trowel or similar tool but it's certainly not rocket science!!
Get it fairly level but don't worry about trying to get it 100% perfect - think most floors can take a variance of 2-3mm along a 1 metre length.

Good luck!

Thanks for that.

I'll give it crack and hopefully I won't be walking uphill to get to the mantelpiece

Back