Prefabricated Floors and Roof Trusses

dj01

Hi.

Am currently in early stages of a self build, and am trying to get some info on prefabricated floor and roof systems.
Does anyone have any experience with using any of the prefabricated floor and roof systems like ecojoists(floors) or JJI-Joists(floors)?
Do prefab floors and roofs offer significant benefits over a cut floor and roof in terms of erection speed/stability/less squeaking?

Any info on this would be great.

dj01

advantages for flooring systems:
greater spans achievable
faster erection, lighter handling
greater stability, no drying out causing less creaks

disadvantages:
greater initial costs
loss of control of standards due to off site construction
augmentation may be needed to tradition construction

DJ01 I am in the early stages of Construction myself and have decided on Ecojoists as the Sittingroom is upstairs and it will give me more scope with Acoustic Insulation etc. The Frame Company are fitting an Acoustic Strip to the top of the Joists during manufacture as well. The Eco Joists allow for a wider span which gives you the option of changing the layout of the downstairs in the future if required. It also makes it easier for the plumbers to run pipes any direction they wish. It is costing about €700 extra (1800sqft house) for the ecojoists which I feel is worth it

Considered both cut roof and prefab trusses for my self build. Decided on cut roof. It was cheaper for one thing. Another issue may be joist depth. I used 9" which allows for deeper insulation. I think prefab truss would have been 6" but can't remember for sure. I'm sure there are other considerations.

Back