precast retaining wall

marky10

have a high hill for a back garden looking to get it removed but will still be left with a lot of fill wondering about a retaining wall and steps into the hill any advise?? depth of foundation, block or precast? and more importantly cost? back 60 to 80 feet wide.....west of ireland

would be worth retaining (what a pun) a structural engineer - for the few quid it'll cost you at least you'll know your solution won't crumble away or fall down - I have 2 ret. walls in a house design at present and while I would have thought their design was straight-forward, it has proven to be a little more complicated and so am glad that the st. engineer is there to advise and stand over everything - more money I know but sometimes the structural stuff is worth spending on ...

was thinking of 3 to 5 feet high and slopeing the hill in to it with steps back into the hill??

We had a similiar scenario when we had a bank of about 14 feet behind the house. We changed this by doing two walls with 9inch blocks with a lawn between then. First is about 5 feet and second 6 feet with steps built into first up to lawn.

The walls were build 18inch deep for first few courses then 14 for extra strength then 9 inch for last few with gravel behind and plastic and lots of drainage done to bank above.

Lastbuilders

Depending on the soil conditions, i'd estimate that laying a block on flat for your situation would be sufficient to retain between 3 to 5 ft. Foundation of 600mm wide and 200mm depth of concrete.

Hi marky10!

A friend of mine in Cork got some 4ft high precast walls to hold a muck heap ie.trailer loads of horse manure! The walls he got were called "alfablocs" and he keeps raving about them! I just did a search and you'll see them here - and here [broken link removed].
I'm not sure if they'll do your job but they might be worth checking out!
If you want I can find out where he got them!

Spicey

Back