Pre purchase inspection

Haille

Continuation from a previous post.I am buying a 2017 Nissan Leaf from a private buyer.I spent 18 euro on a background check all seems fine.Car had its first NCT last July.I have obtained service history.It seems fine.Do you think I should pay an engineer to check the car over. or would it be a waste of money.The car has 25000 km on the click.The 12 lights on the instrument panel are working indicating good battery health.

Really depends how familiar you are with cars in general I think. If you have a good feel for how worn a car should look inside/out for the mileage (to watch out for clocking, though this would be difficult on an electric), any strange behaviour while driving/braking/turning (trying to detect tracking/suspension issues) etc then you should be fine. I’ve bought a good few secondhand cars over the years, I got assessments done on the first couple (which were great and very reassuring!) but would not bother now unless spending serious money. If you know somebody in the trade or who buys secondhand cars regularly and can go with you to take a look that’s another cheaper option.

I mentioned in the other thread that you can read the exact battery health with a dongle/app, down to the individual battery cell if you’re interested. This is the dongle - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Bluetooth-Adapter-Scanner-Technology/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=35CVDUR11H5PZ&keywords=carista+obd2&qid=1636403656&sprefix=carista+&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2FFESA4WJEXUA&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNVZPOFU1S1Y2N01PJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDMxMzE4VEQ2U1pOMElRTjdOJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTYyOTk3V0tST1ZaWVBOQkcmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== (Link) and the app is called LeafSpy for iOS/Android. Very easy to use, the OBD port is under the steering wheel and it takes 39 seconds to read. To be honest though seeing the 12/12 battery health lights on the dash is enough.

Back