Pre-planning consultation

polarbear

I have a single storey 2 bedroom cottage and thinking of adding two dormer bedrooms. Do I need an architect to draw up a plan prior to a pre-planning consultation or can a County Council Planner tell me if my application has a chance of getting approval prior to submitting a formal application?

Most Pre-Planning Consultations will require a set of plans to give the Planner an idea of what you are thinking about.
Otherwise, they will just point you to the Development Plan and that contains guidance on what is technically allowable within any zoned area.

Some LA's also offer the Pre-Planning by email only, so plans are even more important here.

Look at your LA's online planning portal, read through the documents linked to planning applications in your area, even better if there has been any very similar developments to what you propose. That should give you a good idea of what they allow and any conditions they may attach. Knowing that might help focus the meeting.

I have a single storey 2 bedroom cottage and thinking of adding two dormer bedrooms. Do I need an architect to draw up a plan prior to a pre-planning consultation or can a County Council Planner tell me if my application has a chance of getting approval prior to submitting a formal application?
As per cremegg if an actual meeting is to happen dont paint yourself into a corner. Let the planner suggest how to achieve your objectives ie. the two extra bedrooms. If your LA requires you to submit plans online then your are forced to show your hand. Best of luck.

Guys, take it from somebody who spends their time preparing planning applications and dealing with Pre-Planning Consultations....The Planners do not tell or help you get to what you want. You have to show them what you are planning to do and take their opinions on board while demonstrating that the extension in in line with local development policies.

To be honest, most domestic extensions don't go for Pre-Planning, it would typically be one off dwellings or bigger unless you are in an ACA or a Protected Structure.

The dormer issue can be answered by looking for precedent in your immediate area and your Planning Agent should be doing their homework on this.

Reactions: Leo
Back