Pre Fabricated Roofing System/Panels

Jolly Man

Anybody out there know of or have seen anything like this? I think i remember an episode of about the house recently where they were used on a house in west cork all be it as part of the timber frame package, can something like this be used with masonry construction and could anybody point me in the right direction?

Looks like what im looking for very little specification on the website though. ANybody else use these?

i was involove in a dwelling buildt by SIPs panesl... from KingspanTEK...

i couldnt recommend it highly enough... its obviously more expensive than timber frame, but its a much higher spec system....

check up the kingspanTEK website [broken link removed]

Had just found the kingsapan website explains alot i am thinking about using the panels just for my roof carrying on from a masonry built to wall plate. Anybody have indicative costs for this?

very hard to get indicative cost just for a roof panel... maybe contact them, ive never had a problem getting quotes from them...

ps.. make sure your construction detailing is up to scratch if your using this system over a masonary build....

to be honest youd probably be better off cost wise to construct a traditional cut roof and insulate with 100 polyiso between the rafters....

Cost wise would be far more efficent agreed, its just that its a bungalow house with scope for an upstairs. It has an awkward 45degree dog leg to one end of the house ending at a complete glass gable, at the other end is a hipped roof so very little masonry support there and im afraid that a cut roof will lead to overkill on timber and take up all my upstairs space.

for the record, I work for SIP Energy.

Without doing a selling job, one thing about our panels is size. We typically make panels as large as practicable for handling and installation, rather than follow the sizes laid down by the availability of sheets of OSB.

For instance, the max panel we can make is 15m x 3m, and at 25kg/m2, it ain't light.

Ideally, they work best on a house designed to accept them from day 1, but it is possible to put them on non-SIP houses. We recently fitted a roof to a steel frame house, for instance.

The main advantage are: integrity & strength, airtightness (very, very good), insulation quality, speed, and as you pointed out, designed right, that you don't tie up your loft/attic space with a million collars/ties, etc.

Our test house with no dry lining, open crawl spaces in the attic (usually a nightmare.........like my own 1990's dormer....), achieved an A3 rating with no drylining. Airtightness was 3.25 m3/hr per m2, and the bottom of the roof panel was unsealed or plastered in the crawlspaces - I'm sure those of you who are familiar with roofing , will acknowledge that's a very good result.

Each case has to be looked at under it's own merits, however - there is no one-size-fits-all solution (OSFA) !, and if it's down to price, a cut roof will be cheaper.