Pre-Approved with Haven - Can I still apply to AIB?

JohnJay

As the title says - I have pre-approval with Haven for a mortgage via a broker. Is there anything stopping me applying directly to AIB too?

AIB's rates are more favorable and there's no sign of them reducing the Haven rates anytime soon.

I don't think so except their mortgage app website is down, I applied three weeks ago and apparently my app is stuck on a sever somewhere. I was on to them three times with no luck, last Friday they told me to ring and restart a new app. So guess it's Ulster bank for me now

There's no issue with that JohnJay... it's effectively a separate entity (had a separate banking license, presume that's still the case) and will undergo a separate underwriting process.

You should not be borrowing from Haven until you get some clarity as to their plans for mortgage rates.

AIB is the best value and you should go to them directly.

It is one of the disadvantages of going through a broker. They can sell you only the Haven products.

Brendan

You should not be borrowing from Haven until you get some clarity as to their plans for mortgage rates.

AIB is the best value and you should go to them directly.

It is one of the disadvantages of going through a broker. They can sell you only the Haven products.

Brendan

Yes Brendan, I am aware of the Haven rates issue. I got my approval around the same time that AIB announced their latest price cuts, and other posts on AAM at the time highlighted the rates issue for me.

I must get an application together for AIB. The Haven offer exceeded the 3.5 x salary limit - I wonder if AIB will do the same?

Just an update - I applied to AIB and they matched the Haven offer. I met a mortgage adviser in a branch and applied "on paper", not online. The lady I met was extremely helpful and kept me constantly updated by email.

The question now is who to go with? Its reported that Haven will contribute to legal fees which is a bonus. Both are now on the same rate, but will the Haven rate always move downwards with the AIB rate?

Back