Prague

sdelaney

does anyone have any hotel / b&b recommendations for Prague in the old town / new town area and near good pubs / clubs. Also how is the best way to get from the airport i have been advised not to get a taxi!

I'd agree about getting a taxi (or rather, not getting one!) from the airport. I had to make 3 trips to Prague in autumn 2005, and used this lot http://www.prague-airport-shuttle.com/ who were great. Set (reasonable) price, English speaking driver who meets you with your name on a placard, and you get a handy little map of Prague. Book them ahead of 24 hours arrival if you can, but even if you can't they will probably sort you.

Sorry can't help with pubs/clubs but if you want any recommendations of restaurants I can help, Cafe Colonial, La Bodeguita del Medio & Red White & Blues come to mind. If you like beer, you'll be dead happy - it's cheaper than water! Can be got for as little as 55c a pint depending where you go.

Definitely stay in the Old Town area otherwise you'll pay a fortune to taxi drivers to bring you there anyway!

And bring your camera - Prague is very picturesque

Thank you TreeTiger great information - especially on the recommendation for the airport shuttle company. I heard the beer was cheap so I'd better not drink it like water though!! Now just have to find somewhere to stay

I don't know if prague is listed but [SIZE=-1]www.toandfromtheairport.com is a good site for most airports.
[/SIZE]

There's a massive nightclub by Charles Bridge on the Old Town side of the river. 4 or 5 floors with different music on each floor. It's worth a visit.

mudahawn - thanks for the tip

Rovers0601 - thanks do you have a name for the club?

Yeah I could recommend the Airport Shuttle ( used it twice myself ) but second time noticed the Hotel I was staying at had a limo service that was much cheaper. Andels was the hotel name it gone expensive as it has become very popular.

flexible – thanks I managed to finally get somewhere Hotel Esplanade Prague [broken link removed] reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel and just off Wenceslas Square, which I think is a good area!

Can't remember the name. But as you walk over the bridge into the Old Town area you can see it on the riverbank to the right hand side. When you have croassed over the bridge just take the first right , the road runs under a building I think and walk down 100yds. The club will be on your right.

There's a massive nightclub by Charles Bridge on the Old Town side of the river. 4 or 5 floors with different music on each floor. It's worth a visit.

I have some really great Czech friends in Prague who I studied on erasmus student exchange with. I visit Prague and stay with them so I ve been to Prague about 10 times already.

One of them said that nightclub next to the bridge is pretty bad and the image he painted was as follows : picture a floor full of strange beating music and guys wearing hoodies pulled over their heads smoking weed and not talking. maybe he really hates the place for personal reasons but he told me everyone he knows hates it too.

However there is a really interesting nightclub ( and also a guest house/hostel which I think may be a hotel and too expensive for you ) called 'The Golden Tree' which I highly recommend ( I never used a hostel in Prague so I can only recommend the Nightclub). Lots of Czech locals and students all go there and its safe and fun..

Its full air conditioned and goes down 4 floors.

http://www.accomprague.cz/index.php?Submit.x=1&id=43&lang=us&page=detail

There is one major difference though. Scantily clad female dancers are to one side of the dance floor. The locals dont bat an eyelid at this. This shouldnt intimidate any females who want to find a night club or who are in the group but for a group of lads in Prague its certainly an interesting topic of conversation. I spent my time there on the dance floor and at the bar.

Theres also a nice rock pub with live music and a dance floor called The Wagon.

I was in Prague a few weeks ago for a few days. We stayed in The Ambassador Hotel in Wenceslas Square and it was reasonably priced for the time of year. Although after getting our bearings I wouldn't stay there again as every place in within 15 minutes walk of The Square.

A place I'd recommend for grub is in Old Town, around the corner from Caffreys Irish Pub, which is just off the old Town Square. Its called The Crazy Cow, very good steakhouse. We got a mixed grill + fries + a beer for something like €18 and it was enormous.

When in Prague recently, the best restaurants we found were just off the tourist drag in Malá Strana on Újezd street near the foot of the Petrin Hill furnicular. Over several visits to different places, we noted that this particular area seemed to be attracting more than its fair share of Czech tourists and the value and quality of food seemed to be a lot better than in the more obvious tourist locations around the town.

It`s called Karlovy Lazne. Biggest club in Central Europe and the best looking ladies you will ever see!!