Powerpoint

M

Marie

I increasingly receive documents which need to be viewed in Powerpoint and also will need smart presentation for teaching assignments in the next few years.

Do I have to buy Powerpoint and where is the best/cheapest site?

Yes - OpenOffice's Presentation component can deal with (open/view/save) MS Powerpoint format documents (or you can save them in OpenOffice's native XML formats instead if required).

Many thanks to you both for the excellent guidance! :) I'll have a go at downloading and installing OpenOffice.

Marie, Use OO all the time, its a very large application so broadband connection is useful in this instance!

Thanks Stobear. Is that "instead of" Microsoft Word?

I've downloaded OpenOffice and am trying to install. My Winzip application is on the old computer (not the Sony I'm using now and which has Broadband connection). How do I transfer Winzip across so I can unzip the OpenOffice files onto a memory stick and move it over?

That's a bit garbled! I meant - can I load Winzip onto a 512MB memory-stick and transfer it across for installation onto the new p.c. in order to unzip the OpenOffice programme I've just downloaded or is there another way (I seem to remember buying Winzip online). As you can tell I'm not sure what distinguishes hardware from software......... >D

winzip is quite small..
downlodd it again from www.winzip.com
i supppose you can enter your software key again..

you probably can't copy it from 1 machine to another because of registry settins etc

Thanks jdw! I'll try that for winzip. I've downloaded and (I think........how can you tell?) installed OpenOffice and tried to open a recently downloaded Powerpoint document but without success.

Did you open the file using winzip-extract the files to a directory-and then run setup.exe?

installed OpenOffice and tried to open a recently downloaded Powerpoint document but without success.

Did you get any error messages?

Problem is, the system won't download Java and gives an "Error - Java (TM) Installer. Unable to download [broken link removed] for installation"

The Java page suggests XP users find a yellow tab on the page but there isn't one!

Also "Java Installer Connection ERror! Installer cannot proceed with current Internet Connection proxy settings. Check Installation Notes for more settings".

But which installation notes where?

Re: Viewer...

Have you made sure that you have a Java runtime environment already installed before installing/using OpenOffice? See for some information on how to do this.

Back