Power tool advice

eggerb

Suppose I want to cut the bottom of a door architrave whilst it is fixed in place in order that I can slip a tile under when laying tiles. (For the better look of the tile under the wood rather than the tile cut around the wood). I have seen it done with a hand saw using a tile as a guide to guage the height. Is there a power tool available to do this?

My brother did the work on my architraves cos he's a carpenter and (maybe unfortunately for you) he did it the old fashioned hand saw way! sorry!

You can get a [broken link removed] alright, bit on the expensive side for a one-off job though. Some of the hire shops may stock these.

Cheers Leo. You're right ... a bit pricey for a one off job. Was half thinking that I would be worth to have but think the hire shops might be a better call... PS excuse the naievty but could an angle grinder be used here?

Nice trimming saw from Axminister but not necessary for a one off job like yours. This is really easy to do with a sharp throw away hardpoint saw (€14) and a piece of plywood (matching the thickness of your floor tile + grout and tolerance). The ply will act as a guide for the blade so there's very little skill involved. A good tip is to score the face of the architrave beforehand with a sharp utility knife- this will sever the fibres, prevent splintering and will help to get the saw started on the correct line. Short strokes of the blade will cut through the architrave in no time and a sharp chisel will neatly trimoff any breakout. Doing this with a handsaw will be quicker than any power tool as the set up time with a power tool is a problem.

Had a quick look in McQuillans in Blanchardstown at the weekend and seen a smallish one for €300 - still a bit steep for a once-off job - even it it is for doing 8 doors (32 architraves). Found a hire shop that have one in stock, so might do that. I'm going to do the ones for the tiles about 10mm (tiles are about 6mm) and the ones for the wooden floors about 36mm (solid board are 18mm and the ply 15mm) - or should I allow a bit more I'm wondering ....

Would you not try your hand at it using the cheap, hand tool option first, before you go spending money on a tool that may never be used again? As for tolerances, you don't need so much tolerance with the timber floor because you can slide the finish flooring under the architrave- but with tiles you need to be able to allow for the adhesive and manipulating the tile into place. 36mm sounds ok for the timber floor.

Thanks Carpenter. I think I'll give hand tool option a go. Thanks for your advice.