Power shower / solar panel hot water pressurised / pump query

deputyjk

Hi All
I am about to buy a house which has solar panels on the roof. Therefore the hot water system is pressurised.
I want to buy a fancy shower with jets on the sides etc. However most of these showers are power showers and require a pump to pressurise both the hot and cold supply. As the hot is already pressurised do I need a pump for the cold only, or do I need a pump at all?

While it is likely with a stainless steel cylinder don't assume that your hot water is pressurised just because solar is installed!

Should you find that the cylinder is pressurised purely from the pressure of the incoming water from the mains you may find that this will be inadequate for a power shower (depending of course on water pressure – check kitchen tap).

Is the house fed from a well or public mains?

Thanks for the quick response david

The hot water system is definetly pressurised as there is a dedicated pump. The house is mains water. However the cold in the bathrooms will be coming form the tank in the attic

Really depends on a lot of things at this stage.

Ideal situation is that the hot water cylinder will be pressuired by a pump fitted on a dedicated feed from the cold storage tank in the attic. Then all you have to do is get a pump of similar spec and fit on supply to shower cold supply only. Your trouble starts if the feed to the shower is a branch from other pipes or worse again if it is only 15mm.

Example

A 1.5 bar pump fitted on dedicated 3/4" hot feed from cylinder and dedicated 3/4" cold feed from cold storage tank will give a decent shower but by no means a true power shower.

You should get a bucket and using existing shower turn it on for 30 seconds or one minute at shower temp. Then measure out the litres of water you get. Post that back here. It won't be totally scientific but you will be able to get some idea of how you might fare with a multi jet set up.

Back