Potterton Suprima 80: Boiler Problems

Caro

Hi,
I've read the threads about gas boiler problems and I got some useful tips. I am still stuck however and hope someone can help.

Initial problem (common to other threads) - Potterton boiler intermittently ignites and have to press the reset button. My Bord Gais serviceman told me that my water pump and my gas boiler are on the same fuse and to get both put on a separate fuse to solve the problem. I have rung an electrician but he hasn't come out yet so currently I just press the reset button when necessary. BUT I haven't had to do this for a week or so but now I have a new problem with my shower. No hot water is coming out. The shower head is fine as cold water will come out fine but no hot water. I have no hot water problems with any other tap in my house. The boiler is working so perhaps it is all down to this shared fuse issue? I just want to check before I get ripped off with plumbers/electricians/etc based on what I have read in other peoples' threads.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You never said what type of shower you have. Is it an electric shower or a pumper shower or a gravity fed shower.

Also, I don't understand what the Boiler Guy meant about the pump and boiler on the same fuse. Did he mean that they are wired back to the same MCB and that they are tripping it out or is there actually an internal fuse blowing.

Just trying to gather more info to solve problem.
BTW, it is probably something very simple that is wrong....

Hi Jildy - thanks for your response firstly. It's a gravity fed shower and yes you are right, he did mean that they are wired back to the same MCB and that they are tripping it out. Thanks for any ideas you might have.

First lets deal with the MCB problem.

MCB problem
QUestion: Does the MCB only trip or does the RCBO/ELCB trip?

A Water Pump and gas boiler together should not be a huge load and I would be surprised if they are tripping out the MCB on overload.
If possible, check this to verify. Get load of pump off plate on side and get rating of boiler. This will be in Watts (W). Then check the size of the MCB in the board (possibly a 10A MCB). We can work it out from there if it is sized correctly.
If it is not overload then it could be a short in one of the components due to failure or maybe even a leak into the electrics.

Shower

Since it is a gravity fed shower it does not directly require electricity to heat/pump water.
So it is just a case of that either there is no water getting to the hot water pipe to the shower or else the water that is getting to it is not heating.
Since you have hot water in the other taps I would say that there is no water getting to the hot water pipe in the shower.
It could be airlocked or there could be a valve accidently turned off in the hot pres supplying the hot water to the shower.
When you turn the shower up to max hot (i.e. min cold) does the pressure drop off a lot or does it remain more or less the same?
If it drops off a lot there is no or little water present in the pipe.

J

Thanks again Gildy, I really appreciate this.
Q: Does the MCB only trip or does the RCBO/ELCB trip?
A: I don't know what the RCBO/ELCB is? If it's the main fuse box in the house then no it doesn't.
I'll check if it's sized correctly tonight when I get home and let you know.

FYI, the Bord Gais man said there was water dripping onto the electrics which he fixed.

The pressure does drop off completely when you hit max hot( min cold).

I don't have a hot press, just the boiler in an outside shed though. Any switches i can check for in there to see if there is a valve accidentally turned off.

Caro said:
Hi,
My Bord Gais serviceman told me that my water pump and my gas boiler are on the same fuse and to get both put on a separate fuse to solve the problem. I just want to check before I get ripped off with plumbers/electricians/etc based on what I have read in other peoples' threads.

What your "Bord Gais serviceman " told you is incorrect, or you have misunderstood him. Your pump, boiler and all other heating controls must be fed from the one (3amp) fuse.

I suggest replacing the PCB.

Regarding your shower its possible its an dodgy thermostat in the mixer.

BTW i take great offence to you and others, paranoia towards my fellow plumbers.

Hi Glenamaddy - sorry about the cranky comment re: being ripped off but have been stung a few times now with incorrect analyses of problems. I guess it's the joy of living in a old house. I have also had plenty of brilliant experiences with plumbers, electricians and builders so it works both ways I know.

I have an electrician coming in the morning now so hopefully that will solve the matter.

FYI, a 3 amp fuse lasted for about 5 minutes before tripping out. I have a 13 amp fuse in there currently to keep the boiler and pump going.

Thanks and apologies for any offence caused Glenamaddy.

I'm wondering if anyone can advise on where I can check to see if the hot water feed to my shower is accidentally turned off. I don't have a hotpress, I just have the boiler in an outside shed (Potterton Suprima 80). If that's not the problem I assume it's an air block (recently I had my water mains turned off so could that have caused a problem?).

I had an electrician out this morning so my boiler and pump are working fine (hopefully). Thanks in advance.

Back