Potential Problem with Solictor

Tomjim

I purchased some property recently. I gave a chq to my solictor today for this property. Is there any way I could check that my solictor will not keep this money for himself and disappear to another country. The solictor indicated that he needed the chq to clear in his account before the property will transfer into my name.

This is normal what he is saying. What makes you think the solicitor is going to leg it ?? You do have the Law Society to fall back on if the matter went pear shaped. Not everybody is up the creek at the mo, and why did you use his firm if you had doubts ?

only heard things recently regarding the firm. Would the Law Soc step in if he legged it

Yes they would, but it may take a while. Just keep on top of the situation and get everything in writing just in case.

why are you using a solicitor that you don't seem to trust?? when you purchase a property you lodge the purchase funds with your own solicitor, this then needs to clear in his/her account and he/she then transfers that money to the solicitor acting for the seller. it's only when the solicitor acting for the seller receives all the purchase monies that the property is then officaially your's.

If your solicitor sent the monies without they clearing and your cheque bounced or there was any issue with what you handed in, you can imagine the trouble that would cause for your solicitor.

You could cancel the cheque and give the solicitor a draft in favour of the solicitors for the person selling the property. That way it never goes through your solicitor's accounts. It takes about a week for a cheque to clear. I'd say thyere are more solicitors getting caught with cheques not clearing rather than people getting caught with solicitors stealing from them. You should tell your solicitor who said what about him/her. If somebody is saying things to damage their business then they have a right to answer them.

Back