Posting non standard characters on askaboutmoney

More disappointingly still, AAM on Xenforo doesn't even allow Irish fada characters.

A fada shows as Á
a fada shows as á
E fada shows as É
e fada shows as é

So I can't have RTE on AAM with the E showing a fada. I can type the fada-ed E on Google Search and copy and paste it onto AAM - but all I get is still É.
You've just illustrated that there's no problem as far as I can see. If these characters are not displaying properly at your end then it's most likely a local system issue.

Thanks to all feedbackers.

This is a user issue.

I see that on my Ubuntu 22.04 admin account, I see all accented characters correctly.

But on my user account on the same machine I get Cyrillic characters instead.

So it's no issue with Xenforo on AAM - it's just some different keyboard/language/encoding config on the user account that causing this effect.

Apologies.

Got it at last.

My browser normally allows web pages to select the fonts that they render text in rather than have the browser's own default font (e.g. DejaVu) applied.

AAM has messages fonted according to this CSS rule:

font-family: 'Segoe UI','Helvetica Neue',Helvetica,Roboto,Oxygen,Ubuntu,Cantarell,'Fira Sans','Droid Sans',sans-serif;

Whichever one of this list the font applies, that one must have some error in it.

Now, having unchecked the option in my Firefox settings to allow web pages to select their own fonts, I can see Páid's name rendering correctly. Likewise with é, ç and û on the French keyboard and ö,ä and ü on the German keyboard.

Tá brón orm nach rinne mé cuid mó scrúdú faoi na rudaí sin sula chuireas ceist chuig AAM orthu.

Last edited:
Back