Posters - why so low this time around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceist Beag

This isn't a thread about why politicians put up posters but rather about something different this time around. The posters are put up much lower than usual on the lamposts around me and every possible vantage point seems to have been taken - even under speed limits or other road signs. I'm sure there is some science behind this change in approach but so far the biggest impact I have seen is that it is easier for people to pull them down (should they have a mind to do so) or draw on them! Has anyone else noticed this and have any ideas on the rationale behind it? Maybe ladders are in shortage or the volunteers are just lazier these days? :D

I had noticed that as well, thought maybe it was a factor of larger constituencies with a lot of candidates... or maybe the windy weather played a factor.

Health and Safety perhaps? Insurance and ladders? wasn't there a case where one of the hard left supporters was suing one of the parties over an accidient that happened with a poster?

I understand that some of the (better heeled) parties have used contractors to put up posters this time round - I would imagine it was the 'strategic party leader' posters of the bigger parties that used the contractors... these posters went up earlier in general than the candidate posters themselves.
I have noticed posters in my constituency that are lower and almost all of them belong to an individual candidate from one of the smaller parties - they weren't even the last to go up, I don't know why they're so low.

Yeah, actually said that to the Mrs yesterday while out in the car. There seems to be way less posters than previous years.
More emphasis, time and money going into Social Media?

I don't see the point of the posters during General Elections, during Referendum campaigns I think they have an impact though.

I don't see the point of the posters during General Elections, during Referendum campaigns I think they have an impact though.
Unfortunately I think it's a case of posters NOT winning you votes but the absence of posters losing you votes... the avoidance of a negative is the reason for putting them up! If they just removed the exemption from litter legislation then they could ban these posters too and a lot of wasted time and effort could be saved.

- even under speed limits or other road signs.
It is illegal to place posters on road signs. The local authority will remove posters placed on such signs.
I have noticed the posters being placed lower on the public lighting poles. I wonder has it some thing to do with health and safety in the windy conditions we have had recently.

I was driving out the Model Farm Road in Cork last weekend. All I saw was mutt after mutt after mutt on lamp posts. Eventually though, I passed the Guide Dogs and there was a picture of a real mutt! Far better looking too. Far more loyal & far better at protecting the most vulnerable in society. If they'd put him on the ticket, he's get my vote anyway!

It is illegal to place posters on road signs. The local authority will remove posters placed on such signs.
I have noticed the posters being placed lower on the public lighting poles. I wonder has it some thing to do with health and safety in the windy conditions we have had recently.
There are plenty of posters on road signs around me and the local authority have done nothing about them. All parties have done it too - speed signs, traffic calming, signposts, anywhere at all seems to be the attitude!

Guidance from dept of Environment http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/LitterPollution/ElectionPosters/ (here), includes references to Road Traffic, Planning, and Litter legislation.

There are plenty of posters on road signs around me and the local authority have done nothing about it.
"Complaints about such posters should be made directly to the appropriate local authority stipulating their exact location to enable local authorities arrange for their removal." I'm not sure about the cities but here in South Kerry the local authority removes signs placed on stop signs ect. The candidates quickly get the message. Incidentally Killarney operate a voluntary "no posters" policy within the town limits which works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back