Postal service

Daffodil

Can anyone verify if An Post actually delivers mail on a daily basis? I've recently had the experience of getting no post for days then getting several letters altogether. I have been waiting for something that was send to me last Friday but still haven't received it - in fact I haven't received any post at all this week. I heard from someone that due to a shortage of postmen An Post only delivers once or twice a week. Anyone had similar experience.

In my estate in Lucan, we usually get no post during the week and then Saturday morning a glut of stuff. I queried it with our postman in work, as he lives in lucan and he told me due to staff shortages, its delivered on Saturday by someone doing overtime.

Even if post arrives during the week, its usually at about 4.30 in the afternoon. We all booked in for a staff medical at work. Everybody else got theirs the next day/day after and mine took about a week to arrive, even though they were all sent out the same day.

I am constantly getting bundles of my neighbours post delivered with my own post. It would appear that my postman expects me to deliver my neighbours post every so often. This saves him having to walk down every driveway everyday I suppose.

Daily weekday delivery D 16. It never varies and our postman is extremely obliging. He'll always try to find a neighbour to take a package if we are not home and he went into work one Saturday morning in his own time in case a passport we needed desperately had arrived. Take a bow, Tom!

While my post at home is absolutely terrible, a word of praise for our postman in work.

I got a package delivered at home(failed delivery) and not being there during the day brought the docket into work with me. He took it with him and brought me back the package the following day, even though he had to go to a different sorting office to get it. He is also always up for a laugh and has a great personality and really appears to have great pride in his "round". We often get no post delivered in work when he is away.

He is also absolutely gorgeous(unfortunately he is taken) Before that we had another lovely postman (gay as Christmas,) lovely bloke used to wear a pair of shorts in the summer. All us ladeez had great craic with him too.

The quality of delivery post depends on where one lives and the reliability of the postman/postwoman in your area. While we see reports of bad service from time to time, by and large, the majority of people have good service and everybody loves the postman. They are usually friendly and cheerful. In my opinion there are several reasons for poor service. (a) it is a difficult job, especially nowadays with so many new houses, people living with different partners and foreign nationals who move from place to place. (b) When your regular postman goes on holidays or is off sick it is very difficult to get a replacement nowadays - who wants to get up at 5am, sort and deliver up to several hundred houses for pay not very attractive. (Remember it is no longer a steady job for life - all new recruits are now on contracts). Nowadays there are better and more sociable jobs out there. An Post will hardly admit it but they have difficulty recruiting postmen and postwomen. They get plenty of enthusiastic entrants but when the newcomers see what is involved in the training there is big drop out rate. Non-delivery of post occurs mainly in cities - it is less common in rural areas. I am not a spokesman for An Post. just an ex postman who loved the job.

From Monaghan , work in Donegal , postal service to both areas is , well erratic would be complimentary. Have had experience of H/o posting stuff to me on a Monday ( h/o Dublin based) and not getting items until following Mon/Tues.

Back