Post-SSIA used car price fall?

Omega

Any sign yet of the "expected" fall/collpase of used car prices in the post-SSIA new car spending boom?

i'm hoping for it too. in 2001 there was great value to be had in repo's and my friend bought her 2 year old corsa in an auction for 8k. I think 20k max of SSIA money is only going to get you a car / holiday/ repairs to the house.

It is not expected yet.

The early SSIA maturities represent the wise money. i.e. those that spotted the gift horse early and got in straight away without the assistance of the year-long debates on the subject at the time.

Based on that profile of the early SSIA investor, the early maturing accounts are the least likely to result in a mad dash to spend on consumer goods.

I think the price fall will come, but not until Mar/Apr/May 2007 when dealers begin to shift the influx of trade ins

Prices are dropping. Forecourts are full of second hand cars after flood of 07 purchases and trade-ins. I bought a car last month, advertised at €11,000 since January, got it knocked down to €8,500. Make your offer and walk away. If offer any way reasonable salesman will ring back.

You also have to factor in the 000's of 2nd hand cars which are being imported from the UK.
It must be creating a big overhang in the market.

most of the high spec stuff is from the uk, there may be a flood of new cars out there but prices arent dropping cars are just getting older and nobody wants the bog standard rubbish anymore we all want the toys and they havent dropped at all only the slow movers

Danole - Bought Nissan Primera - new model - 1596cc (02) 48,000 miles all mod cons, alloys air con etc (garage put through NCT and 3 month guarantee). Was on website in Dec 06 for €11,000. Got in March for €8,500 and feel if i waited would have got for €8000 from a main dealer who put up sign '' no reasonable offer will be refused on secondhand cars.'' Salesman told me they concentrate on selling new cars in first quarter and then concentrate on secondhand cars.

Danole - Bought Nissan Primera - new model - 1596cc (02) 48,000 miles all mod cons, alloys air con etc (garage put through NCT and 3 month guarantee). Was on website in Dec 06 for €11,000. Got in March for €8,500 and feel if i waited would have got for €8000 from a main dealer who put up sign '' no reasonable offer will be refused on secondhand cars.'' Salesman told me they concentrate on selling new cars in first quarter and then concentrate on secondhand cars.
They always put a higher price on a website plus the car was a year older when you bought it.

Back