Post Office - Registered Post

Eithneangela

A word of warning to anybody paying extra to register post for sending abroad. It is only guaranteed by an Post until it hits the overseas postal service. After that, there is no guarantee, tracking, traceability on the item. Recently sent an envelope to the States, after 1 month it hadn’t arrived, went to the Post Office with my registered mail receipt and was informed that it had successfully reached the US Mail and after that it is out of their hands. Waste of postage money.

The US postal service should be able to track it. It's like registered mail coming into Ireland from abroad.

It may be worth something to be able to show proof of postage to the consignee. Depends what the purpose of post was.

Present for grandchild. Money wrapped in foil and bubble wrap. I always assumed that once you registered a posted communication with an Post that it would be traceable until it’s destination. I won’t ever pay for registered mail again. The weighted card was very light, it cost €12 to register it.

That sounds very expensive to post, I sent an A4 size hard card envelope with a print in it to US lately and it was barely that, can't remember exact amount but around that I'm sure. I definitely sent it by a traceable means, can't remember whether it was registered or some other method but I was just posting it as a favour to someone who couldn't get to the post office and they had given me the term to use to ensure it would be able to be tracked. I still have the receipt, will have a look at it tomorrow to see exactly what it says.

That sounds very expensive to post, I sent an A4 size hard card envelope with a print in it to US lately and it was barely that, can't remember exact amount but around that I'm sure.

€12.70 is the ROW rate for large envelopes weighing between 250 and 500g.

Registering post will mean you are entitled to compensation should it not arrive at its destination. However, cash is not covered by insurance when mailing, it's always better use an alternative such as Amazon vouchers, PayPal, etc.. Traceability also depends on destination.

Ah right, I wouldn't have been covering it for value but did want traceability, can't find the receipt now anyway! It did arrive though :)

Back