Post letting expenses

Páid

My tenant moved out leaving significant damage to my rental property. Over the last few months I have done a lot of work myself (rather than employing tradesmen). I have spent about €5,000 on the property trying to bring it back to the condition it was in prior to letting. I will probably need to spend the same amount again in order to achieve this.

I do not intend to be a landlord ever again and I will probably be moving in to the property myself.

I note that post letting expenses are not allowed by Revenue - https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/...tal-income/what-expenses-are-not-allowed.aspx

Is there anything I can do?

Wow, €10000 worth of repairs outside of the normal wear and tear is absolutely frightening, Probably 15k if you were to employ someone to do the repairs.

I have a property coming on the market shortly, and there is nothing to prevent your guys moving in to my place and wrecking it also...

Wouldn't it be great if we had a fair and robust Government Body to refer these matters to, knowing it will be dealt with sharply.

Imagine if there was a rating system like ebay etc, Id rather subscribe to that, than the Rtb knowing I had a better chance of protecting my property.

Unfortunately, I know didley squat about shares and the stock market, so my Gamble is confined to the Rental Market, and it seems to be getting riskier as time goes by reading posts like yours.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a fair and robust Government Body to refer these matters to, knowing it will be dealt with sharply.

Yeah, you'll be a long time waiting for the RTB to adjudicate and then have little or no chance of recovering anything. On the other hand, at least their names will be published on the site along with the outcome of the adjudication. Make sure you are checking that list prior to letting anyone into your property.

I would be confident, but not 100% certain, that post-letting expenses refers to expenses after you have decided to never rent again.

Similarly expenses incurred between leases, if the gap is purely down to repair or finding new tenants and particularly if measured in weeks rather than 6+months wouldbe allowable.

Make sure you are checking that list prior to letting anyone into your property.

Good advice, but just getting off the ground - 'Dublin' '2017' has 1 result, 'Dublin' '2018' has 2 results. 'Dublin' for all years has 8 results.

Still its a start and should be publicised.

Shocking poor service from the RTB if thats all they've adjudicated on ... or what am I missing here?

Good advice, but just getting off the ground - 'Dublin' '2017' has 1 result, 'Dublin' '2018' has 2 results. 'Dublin' for all years has 8 results.

Yeah, and a long way behind as well so you run the risk of taking on someone who has been kicked out in recent months. I helped out with a pretty one-sided case 4 months ago, no decision made yet!

Back