Post Bank - Everyday Account

The card can be used online at many more websites than laser which is a closed system only used in Ireland. Maestro is accepted the world over.

But some bricks and mortar retailers who accept Laser don't accept Maestro? In particular Aldi/Lidl. Somebody I know who has had problems opening a current account with the regular banks is looking at the An Post account since it looks a lot more straightforward for their circumstances. The main concern is the fact that some retailers (in particular Aldi/Lidl) don't accept Maestro.

They will in time. The transaction costs to them are the same as Laser.
Ironically Tesco don't accept maestro either. Those are only 3 I have come across that don't accept it.

how long does it take to get this account after making an application by post? do you get the maestro card in the welcome pack? thanks.

You get the welcome pack within 5 days. The PIN should arrive next within a further 3 days followed by the card a few days later.

Lidl do accept Maestro. They only advertise that they accept Laser but Maestro works. I have used it on many occasions. Not sure about Aldi. There is an issue with Tesco but this is a Tesco issue. My understanding is that as the retailers upgrade their systems the newer cards start working.

FYI - Laser is a ROI only system and does not work outside the ROI. For your laser card to work outside Ireland it must also have an international network ie Maestro, Cirrus, plus etc. many cards have both.

Lidl do accept Maestro. They only advertise that they accept Laser but Maestro works. I have used it on many occasions. Not sure about Aldi.
Lidl may have it on their advertising materials that they accept Maestro but I have yet to find a Lidl store that will accept Maestro. The checkout staff (invarily foreign) refuse to accept the fact that it is on their advertising and it is even on the door of the shop that they accept it. No amount of protesting or pointing out the fact they say they do accept maestro will work they won't even try it saying "Laser or cash only". Terrible service.

Hi bond-007,

Yep, I got that at first from the staff, when I insisted that it worked and that they try it, it was ok (say you have used it before or work for Maestro - which i don't btw). I have it used it in Lidl on pottery road in Dun laoghaire a few times. Once they realised it worked, they had no problem and after the 2nd time didn't even query it. So probably an education exercise.