Possible visa problem for US holidays

kibby

Hi all,

My GF and I are plannning to travel to New York on Stephen's day, back on New Year's day.

Thing is, about 5 years ago, she overstayed a visa (6 month visa I think) by about a month and a half. Despite knowing what she's done could mean having to apply for a visa for all subsequent travel to the USA, she's not worried and affirms that she'll just walk through immigration without them batting an eyelid, and can't be persuaded to contact the embassy for clarification or to apply for a visa.

Has anyone had a similar problem during recent visits to the US?

Assuage my fears or give me material to scare her into sorting it out!

I would certainly check it out before I left. I know one person who was stopped and refused entry for the same thing but apparently there are people who have done it and never had an issue. I wouldn't take the chance though.

A friend of mine had overstayed a visa a few years ago and attempted to travel to New York last year. He was flying Dub-Shannon-NY and was to clear immigration at Shannon.

After flying from Dublin he spent 4 1/2 hours being questioned by immigration officials in Shannon and eventually was sent back to Dublin by bus.

He has since been in touch with the embassy and is has obtained a visa to travel new Feb, so I would say speak to the embassy before travel.

A friend of mine had overstayed a visa a few years ago and attempted to travel to New York last year. He was flying Dub-Shannon-NY and was to clear immigration at Shannon.

After flying from Dublin he spent 4 1/2 hours being questioned by immigration officials in Shannon and eventually was sent back to Dublin by bus.

He has since been in touch with the embassy and is has obtained a visa to travel new Feb, so I would say speak to the embassy before travel.

Yeah I have heard similar stories shes better off checking out first with the embassy.

Absolutely check it out....a friend of mine was turned back in Dublin

I second that! A friend of mine overstayed a US visa (not sure if it was J1 or a hol visa..) by something like 7 days. Anyway, a few years later and still on same passport, he was sent home from Dublin airport as they were attempting to travel thru USA on way to Oz. They had to buy new tickets via Asia!

Yikes! thanks for all your help - but she still won't be persuaded! Now she's afraid that even mentioning it to the relevant authorities will draw unwanted attention, and that there mightn't be enough time to process a visa application! Starting to wonder about this girl!

You don't mess with US immigration officials. Tell her to go and get that visa!

It makes absolutely no sense NOT to go to the US embassy - if she doesn't accept that maybe its time to have another think about this gf!

You will DEFINATELY need a visa to travel.'Happened to us about 3 years ago & it was 15 years before that that we overstayed our visa.You shouldn't have too much trouble getting the visa,but you will have to get one.

Maybe you should start looking for some 'guy' things to do in NY on your own over Xmas?

Both funny and tragically true! I think my next question on AAM might be what to do with €750 of Continental Airlines credit. It's beginning to look like her travel problems are not going to be my concern...

Your gf will definitely need to get a visa from the US embassy for this trip and every other trip to the US. I have a friend who was stopped and subjected to an hour's questioning in JFK on the way home from a trip to the US last year. She overstayed by a week on the visa waiver (90 days) back in the mid-90s. The questioning is no fun...

Getting the visa isnt difficult though, but I think it costs over 100 euro

I overstayed on a holiday visa in the early 90's by over 18mths. I returned to Ireland and rebuilt a career for myself here. A couple of years ago I had to go to the US as part of my job so off I went to the Embassy. Ok I got a bit of a slap on the wrist but I got a visa there and then. Far preferable to being turned back at Shannon with plans in ruins!

In a post 9 11 world I would say she hasn't a hope of getting through.

Friend of mine got stopped in Shannon on way to NY after overstaying a visa by a few weeks several years before. I think you should start planning things to do on your own over there....

Yikes! thanks for all your help - but she still won't be persuaded! Now she's afraid that even mentioning it to the relevant authorities will draw unwanted attention, and that there mightn't be enough time to process a visa application! Starting to wonder about this girl!

The immigration guys don't need you to bring it to their attention; their computer will them everything they need to know.

For example, I travelled over to the USA a month ago; I was asked by the immigration officer to sit down over to one side while he went to check something out with my passport; I was sitting there for about 10 minutes worried as hell. Eventually I was called into the immigration office by the senior officer; I was asked when I was last in the USA; I replied December 2005; they wanted to know why the stamp was not on my passport; I actually got it wet since then and the immigration stamp must have leaked out; I explained that to her and she was happy enough and let me through as they had a record of me leaving well within the time allowed then.

This shows how dilligent that they are in letting people into the country; obviously it flashed up on their computer that my last visit was 2 years earlier and they quickly spotted that there was no immigration stamp; obviously my fingerprint scans proved my identity but I would say nothing gets by those guys.

Bottom line if you overstayed a previous visit you will always require a visa in the future; it is one of the conditions of the "Visa Waiver Program" that you have not overstayed a previous visit. Even then your girlfriend may have problems as she has shown that she could be at risk of repeating this. But no way, she will not be able to sail through Immigration; they will have all records of previous visits and they will know that she outstayed her visa.

Hi all, and thanks for your help. However the question is academic now: WE aren't going to the US any more: maybe she is. I'll keep my credit with Continental and can use it in the coming year.

Thanks again all

PS. New question: How does one WARN emigration that a previous offender is trying to enter the US again...!?

PS. New question: How does one WARN emigration that a previous offender is trying to enter the US again...!?
My advice to you is to walk away from this one.
Let US immigration deal with it themselves. In the greater scheme of things, overstaying a visa isn't a terrible thing to do, and once you calm down a bit you would likely feel awful about reporting a "previous offender" whom you obviously once had strong feelings for.

Don't worry, I was only joking! I think I've had a lucky escape - for reasons other than this visa thing ruining a holiday - and still have a plane fare to the US to enjoy.
Thank God I didn't pay for hers!

Back