Possible problem with line repair if changing ISP

Westie123

Hello,

I am thinking of changing from Eircom to BT for broadband.One thing that is of concern is what happens if your line develops a fault after moving from Eircom. A friend of mine who moved and subsequently developed a line fault was told by Eircom to the effect that "since you are no longer one of our customers you are no longer a priority case" and was left high and dry for weeks. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks.

Yes, they are likely to do this. The employees have a tendancy to do this given that they own a big chunk of the company.

What will happen at worst is that you get left till last for repairs if theres a number of lines down in the same incident.

Question is, how often is this likely to be a problem. Secondly, even when it is, are you happy to be held to ransom (by staying with eircon, your encouraging them to keep doing this)?

By the way, BT ar'nt without their problems (search this forum ref. BT billing).

Surely the ISP will put pressure on eircom to have the line repaired in an agreed timeframe - will they not have an SLA with eircom? What is ComReg doing about this.

Surely the ISP will put pressure on eircom to have the line repaired in an agreed timeframe - will they not have an SLA with eircom?
Well, theres the question of proof. Its very difficult to prove - even if an €ircon employee says as much.

What is ComReg doing about this.
Nothing. In fact, they are far more to blame for telecom problems (broadband availability, 2nd highest line rental charges in europe, etc.) than eircom or any one else. They seem to be taking the stance of backing eircom ('cos to do otherwise is to admit that they've failed). They are in serious need of reform - and given the teeth to deal with eircom - a decision that can only be taken by the minister.

I had a line fault within one month of moving to BT. That was after 2 years of faultless service from Eircom. I logged a call with BT support on a Thursday morning and I had BB back by the following Monday night. BT had to log a call with Eircom. I think that's acceptable - 3 working days.

Hi all.'Had a problem with line repair when I recently switched to Perlico.Took 1 & a half weeks to get a fault repaired!Found customer service (perlico) desperate.Then demanded NOT to be charged for no service (Wk & half) but was charged anyway!Will have to wait for next bill to see if credited.The most infuriating thing is that there is absolutely NO-ONE to back the consumer on matters like this.(Pleaes don't say Comreg-it's a JOKE!)

Choose a reputable ISP and you shouldn't have a problem. I am with Netsource and have found their customer support excellent over the past three years. I would prefer to go wireless and get the copper out of the house altogether. I am hearing good reports about Clearwire (ww.clearwire.ie) if you want to go the wireless route. Their coverage is increasing too. A couple of colleagues at work use Irish Broadband (not their basic off the shelf service!) and have had no problems either.

Back