Possible move to Clonee

Julesanddave

Hi There

Myself and my husband are hoping to Move to Dublin from the UK in the next few months. Our budget is about €350000. We have a one year old, so in time we will need to be looking at schools. The estates we have seen are Pheasants Hun, Hunters Run, Ravenswood. We have also looked at Tyrellstown, But it looks like you get more for your money in Clonee? I might be wrong! My husband will be working in the city. Can anyone give us any advice on these estates and the traffic into the city?

Thanks in advance

Traffic is very bad. After 7am its going to take over an hour to get into town. There is a train line near but no parking and its packed like a sardine. Huge school place shortage in the whole of the Dublin 15.

If you have €350000 to spend and aren't fixed to Dublin 15, then somewhere like Newbridge might be worth looking at. Whereabouts in Dublin will your husband be working?

Hi there and thanks for the reply

My Husband will be working in the city.. Not sure where yet( Just going through that process at the moment!) . Doesnt have to be D15, but they seemed affordable and I thought Clonee looked nice. I have family in Dundrum so didnt want to be too far from them. At the moment we are 1 hour commute to London, so my husband wont be too bothered if it takes him an hour to get to work. Newbridge does look nice and looks like it has some lovely estates but think it may be too far out.

Hi there,
TBH I wouldn't move to D15, it is an OK area but the traffic can be desperate. Would you think of Sallins, you have an arrow into town and it is a really nice area, a friendof mine lives there and I was quiet impressed, Naas is near by and that is really good for shopping...
Also in relation to family it would be better as you wouldn't have to use the M50 "troll" bridge either...
P

Hi Julesanddave,

I lived in Clonee for a year, moved in July of last year and to be honest I wouldn't recommend it. Transport into the city centre is a nightmare. The nearest bus stop to me was at least a 15 min walk and the bus route took 90 mins to get into the city centre, longer if traffic was bad. There is a train you can get from Clonsilla but there is no parking so it is a free for all at the side of the road, if you get there past 7.20am there is nowhere to park. The trainstation is a minimum 30 minute walk. One thing I would advise you to do if you can is rent in an area you are considering living for a while, it will give you a good feel of the place. I am now living in Lucan. Alot of people are of the opinion that transport and traffic from Lucan is dreadful but I get the bus outside my estate at 8am and am in the city centre for 8.35 each morning which I think is great. You would get something for your budget in Lucan. Also Tallaght might be an option for you with the Luas and good bus service. Tallaght would be closer to your family in Dundrum.

Hi there and thanks for the reply.

Hadnt thought of having to use toll bridge on M50. good point..

Have also been looking at lucan and have read the posts on here bout it.. Its also a possibility and if the commute is as good as you say it is.. it could be a strong possibility! When we were home last we went to see an estate called De selby in Tallaght. The houses looked nice but there seemed to be loads of gangs hanging round. When we were there a little traveller came flying up the road on his horse, Think that put my husband off a bit.! I know Tallaght hasnt the best of names, maybe that has changed. Sallins looks nice but again it seems very far if I want to come and visit friends and family in Dundrum.

Hi there,
I wouldn't rule out parts of Tallagh as parts of it are very nice. Same with Clondalkin. Would you think of adamstown as it is also on a train line as well and from what I have read they are building schools there..A guy I work with moved out there and appears to be very happy with the move, his wife was also pregnant - so schools and infrastructure were a huge remit when they were looking...

Sallins/Newbridge aren't that far from Dundrum, especially with the M/N7 and once the M50 works are finished it should get a bit better.

You say that Newbridge might be too far, well I make it from Newbridge to Clonskeagh (where I work) in 1hr 5mins some days. The city centre is no more than 50 minutes from Newbridge, and I find the trains are slightly more reliable than Dublin Bus.

I'd recommend anywhere inside the M50 'loop' or, if outside (like Clonee), near a train link and/or bus service.
Traffic outside peak hours isn't so bad, if your husbands work hours are flexible enough. Then, should manage Dublin to Clonee in less than one hour.

The Dublin-Clonsilla rail link is to be extended to Dunboyne, which is a couple of minutes drive from Clonee, by 2010 with a large park-n-ride car park.

The N3 is being upgraded to a motorway (M3) which will join the Clonee bypass, so expect more traffic at the Clonee end when its open (2010).

Have you considered renting for your first six months or year? - that will give you an opportunity to live in an area without committing fully to it, and explore other areas you might like to live in.

Will probably live with my parents for a few months when we move over, Then possibly see about renting.

Was wondering if anybody had anything good to say about Clonee?!

Clonee village is lovely and you are relatively near Dublin. The only downside is the traffic..

Nothing special about Clonee village its very ordinary. Last thing I'd call it was lovely. Any charm it had was destroyed when they just built all over it with out any plan. But theres lots of shops and places to eat.

Problem with D.15 and indeed any where in Dublin or Ireland. Is that some parts of it have got very rough. So you really need to do your homework on an area. People on the web often won't tell you like it is. You'd be wise to come over live with the parents and then see for yourself which parts you like.

what about finglas/glasnevin...10mins into city centre

have a look on www.myhome.ie for prices. Stay clear of finglas south .