Possible electronic interference with car lock?!

Caveat

My wife has just experienced this.

Approached car in park after parking for 20 minutes or so and car wouldn't unlock. Two other drivers in the immediate vicinity then had the same problem. Very strange.

Eventually got in anyway, no damage to car etc but was advised of a scam where signals from key fobs can be blocked/altered/read - whatever - not sure what way to put it - so that theives can gain access to your car when presumably you are off seeking help.

All sounds a bit James Bond to me - does anyone know anything about this?

Not sure what you are saying. What is a known problem - them not working intermittently and for a particular reason?

I think this - [broken link removed] is what's Towger is suggesting.

"RESEARCHERS SAY THEY'VE HACKED CAR DOOR LOCKS " and the article is from 07, so 2.5 years later it's a possibility.

That wouldn't stop your key working.

Mostly light just interference in the area from some transmission source like a taxi office.

I had a similar experience in the carpark of a large supermarket in Wexford town a couple of months ago. On that day, the local radio station were broadcasting from the supermarket, and a broadband provider that was new to the town were also demonstrating their products. I've been in the car park since, (when the radio station and broadband provider weren't there) and had no problems.

Thanks all.

I guess on balance interference is the likeliest cause.