Possible bus strike on Thursday evening

tallpaul

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0829/bus.html

Heard it all now. Bus strike because drivers want more buses. Now while it completely admirable that the drivers wish to provide a better service to the public, I don't see how inconveniencing thousands of commuters and shoppers will exactly enamour the general public to their cause.

Is there a big footy match on Thursday or something...

Puts a stop to late night shopping in Dublin city centre as Thursday is the main night especially for the monthly pay packets.

To be fair you can see their logic. What better way to show that they need more buses than by having no buses on the road. Ingenious public sector trade union thinking...They certainly earned their money on this one.

I reckon the 'we're striking for more buses' is just a ruse to get the public on their side. Quote from the RTE report : 'The unions also want to be consulted on proposals for a new Dublin Transport Authority'. There has been plenty rumours floating around that the government (esp the PDs) want to open up some bus routes to competitors - I imagine this is really what the bus drivers are striking about.

Interesting to see that the unions got a commitment out of genius Cullen for more buses!

Interesting to see that the unions got a commitment out of genius Cullen for more buses!

But only if Mary Harney says it is ok...

Still trying to understand how Cullen has a ministerial job to be fair...

Still trying to understand how Cullen has a ministerial job to be fair...

probably a FF ploy to shore up the vote in the South East, having a minister in marginal consituency is always a vote-getter. Also, he was PD before he switched to FF in the mid 90s, so maybe he was promised 'the car' when he made the switch.