Possibility of a coup in Italy?

Humpback

Is anyone concerned about this? I'm amazed at the lack of real media and political comment and coverage of the possibility of coup by Silvio Berlusconi after the recent Italian elections.

I'm particularly impressed by the comments in this opinion piece in the Guardian, here.

While I'm normally more likely to take the cynical side of things, I do like his comment regarding the possibility that the longer Berlusconi stays in power by refusing to concede defeat, the greater the chances are that he'll do enough to fix/rig/change the results of the election result.

Which all puts [broken link removed]in a different light/perspective, where boxes of ballots were "found" in Rome.

As most of the commentators on that guardian article pointed out, with only 25,000 votes separating them and 38.8m votes cast, his recount call is fair enough.

At the very least, i think we could see a Florida-style court battle, and all the mud-slinging that goes with it.

Isn't it usually the incumbent that fixes elections given that they are normally the ones more able to exert influence over the process? If the opposition managed to fix it thats quite an achievement.

Back