Positioning Cooker Extractor Hood

OhPinchy

I was reading the instructions for installing the extractor hood we just bought for our new kitchen and it said it should be no more than 650mm above the hob. It’s 600mm wide and 490mm deep so it actually sticks out from the wall units (320mm) a fair bit. If I put it at 650mm above the hob it’d be awkward to get at the hob cos my head would bang off it sooner or later.

What’s the standard height for fitting extractor hoods at above a standard worktop with gas hob?

Is the 490mm deep extractor hood too deep and so should be replaced with one that’s not gonna stick out from the wall units (though am sure this would reduce its effectiveness)?

Thanks

We had that dilemma a couple of years back when I went to fit a new 60cm hood in our new kitchen. The hood is a little low (albeit fitted as per guidelines) and would pose some hazard as it projects beyond the face of the wall units, but the risk is minimal when you are familiar with the kitchen. I wouldn't like to install the extractor at a greater height or change the size as it's performance is good at present.

Back