Portugal - Car Hire / Golf?

B

Bantam

I will shortly be holidaying in the Vilamoura area of Portugal.
Can anyone advise on the best value car hire options? Anything to look out for on the driving front - apart from driving on the right side of the road?

Any experience of best golf options in this area?

Hi Bantam

We recently booked a 7 day golfing holiday in the Algarve. Staying in the Levante chain of hotels. Paying €600 for one week B&B in a 4* hotel in May which includes unlimited golf on the Gramacho & Pinta courses. My brother has played Gramacho and says it is a superb course. Paid €130 each for return flights to Faro with Aer Lingus. And just booked car hire with Algarve & golf car hire - €130 for one week with free upgrade.

Can let you know when we return at the end of May how it all was - but considering we paid €75 per round when we played in the Canaries in the New Year, I think it is good value.

Rgds.,

val

Anyone know of Golf only packages in the algarve...
I have a flights and villa bookes and want reasonable green fees for various courses..Anyone have any info

valc can you give me details of how you booked that as i am intrested in golfing in portugal in june and the idea of unlimited golf appeals to me

Am going to Villamoura for 1 week end of March. Flights, accommodation in Dom Pedro Hotel, 4 games of golf ..Vila Sol, Pinhal, Old Course, Victoria Golf Courses = €830. This is our third year. Last year we stayed in Ampalius Hotel ..most of the crowd preferred Dom Pedro Hotel.

I hired a car for two weeks, from AVIS, last June/July. VW golf with a/c cost approx. €290. Full collision damage waiver brought it up by another €140 or so, second driver cost approx. €40. I'm going again this year and won't bother with the extra CDW - staying clear of trouble spots (fingers crossed <grin>.
Normal hire is approx. €200 extra, however AIB business VISA card has a "perk" of an arrangement with AVIS, whereby you get an AWD number and enter this in the AVIS on-line booking form. Some other bodies, e.g. Engineers Ireland, also have an AWD no. - worth checking out. In fact the EI AWD gives better discount than VISA.

Hi Coleen

I booked accom and golf through Pestana Hotels in Portugal. Check out www.pestanagolf.com and look at their unlimited golf section.
Unfort we had to cancel last year due to my husband having an accident in April. The hotel staff were fine about us cancelling - gave them a weeks notice of cancellation. No charge.
I haven't spoken to anyone who has stayed there but certainly on the website, the hotels look fine.

Rgds.,

Valc

ZEGAR said:
Anyone know of Golf only packages in the algarve...
I have a flights and villa bookes and want reasonable green fees for various courses..Anyone have any info

ZEGAR,I get a good deal from Budget because I use them alot over there.However,my friends have been waxing lyrical about "Zitauto" rent a car.They give discounts for regular clients and for long term rentals(4 weeks+) Email: zitauto@clix.pt Tel. 00351 289315559.I'm familiar with Vilamoura and environs,so If u are looking for affordable accommodation and cheap golf let me know and I'll point u in the right direction

re ZEGAR I have booked 11 days in portugal from may 30th to 10th june and would like information on good value golf and accomadation also any other tips please

Coleen,which part of Portugal are u spending ur golfing hols? I know Vilamoura very well if u need any help re. accommodation and golf prices.

Richard

Richard M I have booked flights to faro and have not been there before i have heard villamoura is good I could use some help

Back