portsalon, Donegal

Caveat

Hi

Going on a short beak soon - anyone any info good or bad about Porsalon - Restaurants/pubs etc? Other things to do?

Thanks

Portsalon has a fantastic beach but not much else, chipper and a pub maybe. If you are looking for pubs and restaurants it's not somewhere I'd recommend but if you like golf and walks on the beach its fab.

Hi

Portsalon was very quiet.. Rita's pub on the harbour had a bit of character! (although 'Rita' passed away a few years ago I think) and Rathmullan house had a nice restaurant too. Lovely scenery up on the Fanad head/peninsula, but all in all, I don't remember there being much of a village or anything! Water is Baltic

S

OK thanks guys

The beach was the attraction - maybe it's a bit too low key though.

Any other locations in Donegal you'd recommend?

(must have campsite and be fairly quiet - but ideally with a couple of pubs/restaurants)

Thanks

Just back from Dunfanaghy, wild and windy up there and it was very fresh (coldish) so only book at short notice if the weather is promised good is my opinion.

Potsalon is approx 5 miles from Kerrykeel which has 4 pubs and 2 restaurants a caravan/camping park and 2 shops. The weather can be very windy and the water will be cold but if it is nice its very nice. There is also a smaller village Tamney closer to the beach it would really only have a village shop. There are great places to go walking especially if you like hill walks as that s all there is up there. There is a caravan park beside thh beach but would only really be a site to pitch and with few facilities.

Last edited:
We spent a week or two up there last summer, staying in a caravan park. Fabulous scenery, and great beaches. I thought the water was actually warmer than I expected, probably because the beaches were well inland (in the respective bays), but crystal clear water! Get a wetsuit (one of the cheap "shorties" from Lidl and it won't bother you at all. Jump in off the pier wall. Pubs and restaurants not plentiful, and nothing special either. Beautiful place though.