Portmarnock Vs Malahide

Be very careful about buying houses in Gainsborough. You are paying for the Malahide postal address. Unless you are really going to walk to Malahide village from Gainsborough, and it is quite a distance twice a day by foot, then you may be better looking at houses which are technically just outside the Malahide postal address, but, just as far from Malahide village.

There are quite a few houses for sale in Gainsborough today and I have looked at a couple of them with a younger relative (architect) who is in the market. For example, there is an estate up the road, just over the motorway and easily missed because it is partially hidden, called Melesian which is in Swords postal district. The 4-beds on this estate, are superior in build quality and features to the 4-beds on Gainsborough e.g. walled front gardens, better quality red brick, smaller estate (100 houses) with better landscaped trees and green spaces, safer cul de sacs for kids etc. While the 4-beds are in the minority on this estate, these houses are currently a good bit cheaper than Gainsborough, due to the postal address, but, have been rising fast since the announcement of the Metro which will stop nearby. The Pavillions and good schools (Scoil Cholmcille, Educate Together, Colaiste Choilm) are 10 minutes walk, but, not too near to be obtrusive. This is also the on right side of Swords, away from the concrete jungles west of the village.

A lot of houses within the Malahide postal address are a considerable distance from the village. Real accessible Malahide kind of ends at Yellow Walls Road. Portmarnock is a fantastic area for families, or just for the world class beach alone, though the DART can be too far away to walk on Winter days.

We had the exact same dilemma 2 years ago and discovered more or less what is reflected in these posts for ourselves. Basically Malahide within walking distance of the village would be my number one choice but the houses in these areas are much more expensive / much less house for your money.. eg. I think Seapark is the best located estate in Malahide but these are 4 bed detached going for 1m+ possibly. Then Sonesta is near the village but would be 3 bed smallish semis for the equivalent price of a good size 4 bed in Portmarnock. I agree Gainsborough and other estates out the road to Swords are "Malahide" in address only and think you're better off in Portmarnock than one of these as at least you can walk to the beach, leisure center etc.
If you need to use the DART, your only real option is to drive before 7:25 to Portmarnock or walk to Malahide. If either of these suit then generally the DART works out well.
We ended up going for the better house in Portmarnock with me getting an early train. We have a family now which was the reason for the move and I'm still hoping it'll be worth it once junior is old enough to take advantage of the local amenities but I would say the jury is still out, I still miss the convenience of living in town (Drumcondra) and would say the move is not worth the trade off of the commute for me anyway so far. Also, the new 2nd runway might have devastating effects on Portmarnock prices and quality of life if it goes ahead, we didn't realise the planned flight path would be directly over our house when we made our purchase...