Portarlington Bus/train and Water/refuse services

Gary 23

Hi
I was just wondering if anybody could tell me wheter there is a commuter bus service to dublin from portarlington. Also any info regarding the regularity of the train service would be helpful.
Also if there is anybody reading this from portarlington or you know anybody from portarlington could you tell me what if any charges there are for local refuse/water charges?

Yours
Gary

Portarlington is very well served by trains to Dublin but it depends on your start time.Check out www.CIE.ie and see if any of them suit.There is also a bus service,I think it's called the silver dawn.When you ask about water services I'm not quite sure what you're looking for,but you can take it the 6000 people living there have water!Not enough competition with refuse at the minute AES are the only service I know of and they charge roughly 30 Euro a month,but it depends on Bin size etc.A bit of competition coming in the surrounding towns(Portlaoise) has led to Bin charges dropping there but until it happens in Portarlington no drop to be expected.

Thats great thanks what i was really asking about the water was if there was any water charges in place and also what is the state of the water supply like in portarlington. when i was looking at a house there a few months ago i noticed that one of the houses i viewed had installed a pure water tap because as the estate agent said the quality of the water supply in portarlington was not great. any info relating to these matters would be apprieciated.

Yours
Gary

I used to commute to city centre by train from Portarlington. The 7:50am would have you in heuston before 9.00am most days and the 5.15pm would have you back in Port station just after 6 o'clock. Iarnrod eireann would not be my favourite people as there were often disruption to the services and the trains were very old, but apparently this will change thanks to their development plans.

I live about 10 mins from Portarlington, and there are two refuse services where we live, AES and Oxigen. AES is approx €25-30 a month depending on the size of bin and they collect every second week alternating with a free recycling bin collection.

There are no water charges as such, however it is a very hard water area as is alot of Offaly and Laois. We got a water filter system installed when we moved into our house which breaks down the limescale in the water coming into the house and then we also have a seperate 30 litre drinking water tank which is purified much further. This system cost about €1000 to install and then I think it's serviced once a year for about€50.

Hope this info helps

I'm not sure about the morning trains from Portarlington, but I get the 5.55pm train home in the evening to Newbridge, and this also stops in Portarlington. It's generally very reliable - I've been getting it every day for the last 6 months and have had only one bad delay in that time.

Back