Portable DVD PLayer

paul24

Hi guys,

I am heading on holiday with my eighteen month old in May. I was thinking of getting a portable DVD player to help pass the time during the flight (3 Hours) and also will be useful for after the holidays during long car journeys.

I am looking for any recommendations or peoples experience with these units. They seem to be getting cheaper all the time.

Thanks,

Paul

Faced with two 4-hour drives at Easter weekend and two similar drives in the summer, I decided to get one. I went for ebay and got a no-brand one from China.

Total cost worked out at < €190. What I have is a 7.2" LCD screen, multi-region DVD player with remote control. It extends out flat and fits in a (supplied) case hanging behind the 2 front seats of the car. It has one headphone socket but I has able to get a 2-to-1 adapter and cheap headphones in Power City for about €10.

For the Easter drives, it was a godsend. The kids (4 & 2) has 2 new (to them) DVDs to watch (The Incredibles & Cat in the Hat) on the way down and back again. The player also has cables to connect to a standard TV (had to buy a SCART adapter for €10) so we could watch our DVDs while away when the kids were asleep.

If you're buying, decide if having it's own battery is important for you. The one I have needs mains or a car lighter, i.e. won't be any use on plane or train.
Also, if you're thinking of using it in the car for a back-seat audience, think how it will fit and stay secure in your car. A colleague of mine bought a Phillips unit whose screen is at an angle to the base unit. That style works file in his SUV, but wouldn't work as well in my family saloon, i.e. the front-seat passenger would need to keep a hand on it.
I have also seen units like this, that can be suspended from the backs of front seats but, for me, the 'open out flat' feature was better.