portable DVD player

MUM2KIDS

Thinking of buying one of these for my kids for going on holiday. My keep them quite on the flight etc. Anyone have any recommendations. looking for good value for money - basic but reliable

thanks

MUM2KIDS said:
Thinking of buying one of these for my kids for going on holiday. My keep them quite on the flight etc. Anyone have any recommendations. looking for good value for money - basic but reliable

thanks

If you're looking to use one on a plane then you need one with a battery and you're probably looking at max. 3 hours battery life. If they are all to look at the screen at the same time, then the screen would need to be big enough.

I have a Philips unit with a 7" screen. I bought it (reconditioned) for about €150 on ebay. In May, I was in Dublin Airport and they were selling the same one new for €120.

IMHO a 7" TFT screen would be OK for 2, but not any more than that. The tilt of the screen would be a cause of squabble for the kids and that is what you're trying to avoid.

Do you have a laptop with DVD that you would let the kids at ?

Aldi are selling in car DVD kits since yesterday in case that's of any interest. Not sure how much or any other details though. Sorry...

Tarfhead is this the Philips Pet 710, I see on Dublin Airport website that this is on special offer at €129.

MUM2KIDS said:
Tarfhead is this the Philips Pet 710, I see on Dublin Airport website that this is on special offer at €129.

Off the top of my head - yes.

My one is a PET700 & it was the PET710 I saw in their shop in May.

If you choose to buy it on the way to your holiday, remember the battery would need charging.

The screen on the PET710 would, IMHO, be too small for 3 to share.

Is there a good website where I can buy one of these? (I won't be heading to Dublin airport any time soon)

Squonk said:
Is there a good website where I can buy one of these? (I won't be heading to Dublin airport any time soon)

AFAIK it is an old model so that could be why dublin Airport are discounting it.

TarfHead said:
I have a Philips unit with a 7" screen. I bought it (reconditioned) for about €150 on ebay. In May, I was in Dublin Airport and they were selling the same one new for €120

I bought this at the airport and would recommend it. There was about 1 hour charge in it when bought. My 2 kids loved it. I was staying where there was no tv and it was a godsend. You could probably ring the shop to ask if they have one in stock and ask them to reserve one for you. 3 other people bought them while i was there.

ClubMan said:
Aldi are selling in car DVD kits since yesterday in case that's of any interest. Not sure how much or any other details though. Sorry...

They seem good value. If memory serves me well there are two.

Yes - it's a set of two. Still had them in Parnell Street this morning but I didn't notice the price or any other details I'm afraid.

MUM2KIDS said:
Thinking of buying one of these for my kids for going on holiday. My keep them quite on the flight etc.

Check with your airline first. I'm pretty sure Aer Lingus don't let you use dvd players at all in-flight. BA do so it all depends who you're flying with.

orka said:
Check with your airline first. I'm pretty sure Aer Lingus don't let you use dvd players at all in-flight. BA do so it all depends who you're flying with.

I think (although I could be wrong) that Aer Lingus allow the use of DVD and other "Laser-controlled electronics" during the flight but not during take-off or landing.

However, the Conditions of Carriage on the Aer Lingus site does not state clearly the policy (my bolding):

11.3 ELECTRONIC DEVICES

For safety reasons, we may forbid or limit operation aboard the aircraft of electronic equipment, including, but not limited to:
  • cellular telephones;
  • laptop computers;
  • portable recorders;
  • portable radios;
  • CD players;
  • electronic games or transmitting devices, including radio controlled toys and walkie-talkies.

orka said:

I used mine on Aer Lingus flight and hostess watched a bit of Shrek with the kids too ! Not during take off or landing though.

Hi I am resurrecting this as I when I went to the Airport on holidays they were sold out of portable DVD players. I am off to NY next month and was wondering does any one know if there is as much savings to be made on these as digital cameras in the states. Also as the previous post was out of date could someone point me in the right direction, as what type & make I should be looking at? Plan might be to buy 2 -saves on arguments!!

The one issue to be wary of if you are buying these in the US is that the may be region locked and will only play US Region 1 DVD's. Of course there may be DVD player hacks to unlock them but I would advise doing your homework first.

I was in Dublin Airport today and they had them. Prices have reduced both online, Argos, Currys etc so you'd pick one up handily enough for 100-120.

Hi I have a post on this too I bought one in Argos Alba only €90 with case total price €112 i think it's great it plays dvd that you have recorded yourself too even though it doesn't say so in the catalogue