Port tunnel site

Drew

Does anyone out there know if there are any plans to redevelop the Port Tunnel site in Whitehall now being vacated by the builders?
I'm interested in the area, and this site is abolutely massive. Whatever is ultimately built on it would, I think, change the whole nature of the place.

Sources close to the Tunnel who prefer to remain anonymous have given me the following details;

The site is owned by the local order of nuns, and is leased to the city council for the duration of the works (scheduled for completion in Spring 06).

The agreement is that the site (surface) is returned to the nuns in the same condition as pre-construction, so essentially a landscaped field.

In terms of future development, it will be limited in scope as the northwest corner of the field contains the launch shaft for the tunnel machines (60m diameter, 40m deep concrete pit – being filled with soil), and the tunnels also pass beneath in a north-south direction. There is a tower crane on site over the pit at the moment, visible from the road.

Any future development is required to be designed with these structures in mind – so likely to be an issue for apartments with underground parking, but not necessarily for traditional housing.

BTW the site across the road – church overflow carpark would seem ideal for higher density/rise development if one was looking in the general area.

Thanks for that - I thought it must have been bought outright by DCC. Sounds like a bit of a headache for developers, probably devalues the site. As for the overflow car park - I presumed that was just going to go back to the church.

Back