popular classical music.

indebtedgal

There was a really good programme on rte radio 1 this morning about pieces of classical music we all know and love.

They played a snip of the piece that was used on the british airways commercial. Anyone know the name of it. I love it..

Any classical music lovers out there that want to put up a list of popular pieces for the philistines like myself...

I did not hear it on radio but I know one piece of music used on TV ads for BA was The Flower Duet from the opera Lakme by Delibes.
Maybe it is the same piece you are refering to.

I think Shawady is right.

Any classical music lovers out there that want to put up a list of popular pieces for the philistines like myself...

The problem is that you probably "know" loads of stuff but just don't know what it's called. On the more lyrical/romantic side you should check out e.g. Vivaldi, Chopin, Debussy, Satie.

Dramatic stuff...endless: Wagner, Orff (Old Spice advert), Tchaikovsky, Mozart...

Only examples - maybe a "best of" classical stuff is in order?

The music known as the Flower Duet comes from a French opera called "Lakme" by a composer by the name of Delibes.

I got some 5 CD collection a few years back - I'll see what exactly it was. There are usually loads of these around. The beauty is that they can be very cheap because they are often played by some semi-obscure orchestra - purists may be a bit sniffy but a pleb like me would neither notice nor care really. :)

Pretty sure I got that collection for about €10 or so.

Edit: Ok, this 5 CD set is called 101 classical greats. Despite the cheesy title it's pretty good - wide range of stuff. The company/publisher (?) is, or was, DDD.

Actually if you google 101 classical greats this box set is the first result, complete with pic.

Back