Poor Sony Bravia Picture

Certina

Hello,

I just bought a new 32" Sony Bravia from peats & connected it via NTL digital.

The picture quality is quite poor - especially evident when watching football matches. The pixels seems to bleed into one another & you cant see the grass - just a blur of green.

It is not as bad when watching ad or the news - but is still an issue.

Does anyone know is this a TV issue or a NTL signal issue? I mean the TV is HD ready so surely has the capability to show crystal clear picture quality!!

I bought a Philips 37" LCD, also HD ready and mine is the same. This is not a problem with the screen, its a problem with the transmission. These are high quality sets but the signal is not so good and the TV cant perform to its abilities. You need a Sky HD box or equivalent for these sets to work at their best. Even a normal DVD is not high enough in quality to do these sets justice, you need a HD DVD player, a HDMI connection and a HD DVD! The transmission technologh in this country is not up to HD standards yet but it will be soon.

The reason I went for a plasma over an LCD is because of what you are observing - I've yet to see an LCD capable of handling fast paced sports to my satisfaction. I've got a 37" panasonic plasma and it handles non hd signals extremely well (better than my old CRT) - that said I've got Sky HD so even the non hd channels are running over HDMI, which (allegedly) improves the picture quality. I think you'll need to splash out on Sky HD if you are a football lover.

M

I just bought a new 32" Sony Bravia from peats & connected it via NTL digital.
The 32" LCDs and bigger will reveal defects in pictures that you might not notice on smaller sets.

Then, NTL digital is notorious for using heavy compression on some channels, this would reduce the quality of detail and also the smoothness of action.

Make sure that the TV anf the NTL box are connected by a fully wired RGB SCART cable and that you're using the TV's RGB SCART connector and that it is configured for RGB and not composite or S-Video.

Have a careful look at the configuration of the set's picture enhancements, these can affect how your picture looks.

If you're still not happy, you need to consider HD and, realistically for now, $ky is the only game in town.

Certina,

How much Peats are selling 32" Bravia for, looking at 1 in DID myself and it was about 1389 with DVD player? Any cheaper in Peats?

Cheers

Now is a good time to pick up a bargain in the old technology 1366x768 LCD screens. They're clearing them out to make way for 1920x1080 sets before Christmas.

Now is a good time to pick up a bargain in the old technology 1366x768 LCD screens. They're clearing them out to make way for 1920x1080 sets before Christmas.

Technologist, are you in sales and marketing, by any chance?

While Sony et al are launching new "Full 1080p" TVs, they are all (a) very expensive and (b) bigger than 40".

I don't think the average i.e. 32" TV is going to look much better at 1080 lines rather than 768, from the average viewing distance.

So, retailers may well be discounting older models, but I don't think they are clearing their shelves for a "technology refresh" just yet!