Poor quality of car-service areas at some petrol stations

Godfather

Hi, where I live most of the petrol stations don't seem to maintain properly the air-pumps to inflate the tyres properly...

I understand this is probably due to the crisis but is there an independent authority we can inform about this so that something could be done.

I think these kinds of additional services are key in order to keep the roads safe. Any suggestion is welcome!

You want to report the stations?

They are expensive to install and maintain.
And when people are finished with them the hose is often just thrown on the ground and then it gets driven over.

If you go to a station and find it broken it wasn't the owner who damaged it.
It was some waster before you who did it

This is why some stations now charge for their use. Or at least you have to ask for a token to use it

I can hear the calls now
Jaysus, Joe Duffy, can you believe they are charging for air!!! Rip off Ireland

People don't respect what they get for free

I was at a petrol station once and a man used the air pressure pump, left it lying on the ground, and drove over it. It got tangled in his bumper and snapped. He got out of the car, untangled the remainder of the detached hose from his car, threw it on the ground and drove off.

our buggy got deflated while at the Zoo a few months back. Thought no problem, just nip outside as there are a few garages close by. No such luck, I had to go to 8 garages to find one that worked. After been recommended by some garage workers to others they knew of, I had to go to the Esso at Palmerstown in the end. Took me over an hour to get sorted.

A taxi driver told me that a lot of garages took the air pumps out/not fixing them as they are a big nuisance.

Air pumps - one solution

hi All

The service station I use mostly, galway based, has the air and water lines on a similar setup to the trolley token systems we see every where. seems to be effective. Its always available and working too !!

Westgolf

If you go to a station and find it broken it wasn't the owner who damaged it. It was some waster before you who did it

This is why some stations now charge for their use. Or at least you have to ask for a token to use it

Was I indicating that the owner had to be reported? There is a misunderstanding here!

What I mean is that because of other people's misbehaviour there is more risk of accidents because tyres can't be properly inflated. And because petrol companies want to maximise their revenues they do NOT care about the importance of the car-service areas.

So are you suggesting everyone in my area should buy their own pump for the tyres of the car? Is this the final suggestion? Wow! I see lots of complainers about what other evil-people might do and no good suggestion.

If this subject is something that is not taken seriously in this forum (congratulations to Westgolf for living in an area that doesn't have this problem) I suggest then this thread to be moved to the "shooting the breeze" section and make more fun of my intervention.

Pumps are cheap, you probably should own your own.

It's not about what "evil people" might do and nobody is making fun of your thread.

Air pumps can work in stations but you can't expect a station owner to pay for it and maintain it if it's constantly being broken by feckless drivers.

Charging for use or maybe tokens seem to work though, people respect the facilities more

Thank you micmclo for clarifying, appreciated. I'll check how much an air-pump might cost.